Opinions on Chase Bliss Brothers

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by run23, Nov 12, 2018.

1. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

Yes, I've used it as a volumen pedal and it works great, regarding which parameter, all of them are useful in different ways, something I like to do is using the exp pedal to move the gain, it's a lot of fun.

In this clip I'm controlling different gain stages with the expression pedal, I'm using condor as well but just to tailor the EQ the expression pedal is connected to Brothers only. It's a subtle change, but you can hear the difference and, and you can get crazy if you want.

pedalo and BallaBalla like this.
  2. Prawntheman

Prawntheman Member

I like it to cover my low, med gain and fuzz sounds. But the parallel function can sound really different at different volume settings. I had one set up that I found to be nice, but when I played it at a higher overall volume it seems a lot more trebley that I remember.

3. Jess 1971

Jess 1971 Supporting Member

I had Brothers for a while, and while it is a cool unique pedal, it ultimately was not for me. I liked the fuzz sounds, but I didn't care for the boost or OD sounds. It always had it's own thing going on so that it didn't really complement your amp as much as take it over. All the sounds had a lot of character, but if you're not totally into that character, then you're sort of out of luck. I liked the fuzz sounds a lot, but the rest--I don't know, just didn't do it for me. I also found it rather complicated to dial in and save the sounds I liked.

stagolee likes this.
  4. pedalo

pedalo Member

I used to find it complicated and it took a while (and probably owning a thermae) to now find it really easy. It is worth persevering with.

hippieboy likes this.
  5. pedalo

pedalo Member

Thanks - will try it today!

hippieboy likes this.
  6. pedalo

pedalo Member

Probably a daft question but what is the difference between a volumen pedal and a volume pedal?!

I just tested my Mission EP1-KP with the Brothers and I’m really happy with finally having a use for it without needing to spend more on a volume pedal. I got some really amazing ambient swells with my blue sky and Volante.

I also enjoyed controlling the gain with it so I’m sure there will be more stuff to explore there.

Right now I’m wondering whether I should have the brothers in front of the amp or in the effects loop. I currently have a Rockerverb MKIII with the following signal chain:

Guitar -> Sunface Red Dot -> Hawaiian Pizza -> Brothers -> Thorpy Fallout Cloud -> Broadcast -> Tuner -> Rockerverb -> effects loop to Somersault -> Thermae -> Volante -> Blue Sky -> Boomerang

I find that the clean channel takes all of the above very well. The dirty channel doesn’t take any dirt i have tried in front of it well at all (like it barely changes the sound and only in a bad way) but sounds so good on its own that it isn’t an issue.

I was wondering if having Brothers in the effects loop might offer some benefits to both using it as a volume pedal as well as offering something to help shape the dirty channel.

Any thoughts on this and my pedal order welcomed as going to have a reshuffle this weekend anyway.

On the substitute bench at the mo I have:

- warped vinyl mki
    - whirlwind phaser
    - mooer yellow compressor
    - Geisha Drive
    - TS mini
    - MXR Carbon Copy
    - POG2

hippieboy likes this.
  7. pedalo

pedalo Member

Update - I have placed it first in the effects loop and the fuzzes and drives both sound rubbish on both channels but the boosts sound great on both - I think may just use this predominantly as a boost pedal that I can do volume swells with :)

Does it make sense that the boosts do sound good in the loop and the rest don't?

hippieboy likes this.
  8. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

Glad you like controlling the gain with the exp pedal! it's definitely fun!

I think the reason the boost works better and the fuzz/drive don't work as well is because: 1. the boost on brothers are stellar and versatile, 2. the drive/fuzz have a lot of character which ime makes it easier to not play nice with a dirty amp.

I've used brothers an a volumen pedal a lot and it works pretty good! great to see you enjoying brothers :)

9. vlammie

vlammie Member

Don't use it in the loop, try it fairly early in the chain.
    I like to control the blend between A and B when they're in parallel mode with an expression pedal.