1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions on DD-2?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by exodus, Aug 11, 2005.

1. exodus

exodus Member

I was thinking of picking up a DD-2 delay for some simple apps. Does this thing handle an OD tone OK? Or does it either compress or sound metallic?
    I'm looking for slapback and up to about 300ms.

2. rhmcfarland

rhmcfarland Member

I've been using a DD2 lately now that my Chandler's needing some repair. It sounds really good... no metallic sounds, and its quite a bit warmer than the DD3. Probably one of the better ones they made....

Randy

3. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I have an old JAPAN DD-2 which I spent another 100 CAD to make into true bypass ( something Analog man said couldn't be done) by a local electronics engineer ( wasn't easy apparently).
    This older version is very warm not metallic at all. let me know if you are interested

4. theelectic

theelectic Guest

If you want that tone on the cheap, DD3 will get you there. Market value for a DD2 is getting ridiculous these days ($100+). The latest DD3 and the older DD2 use a different digital controller chip, but don't be fooled, they both use the exact same A>D and D>A method (SAR filter) with the same comparator chip and opamp, and they both use the same compander.

5. kevin hart

kevin hart Supporting Member

i own a newr dd3 and just bought a used dd2 at a great price. i a/b'd them today & i can't really hear a difference.

wyldesigns likes this.
  6. mojoslide

mojoslide Member

I have an old Japan DD-2 as well and like it. It reminds of the DD-3 I used to have - although I haven't really compared them directly. I did compare it to a DD-5 and that did not sound as good comparatively - especially as far as warmth is concerned. The DD-5 was harsh and unmusical, but that was probably accentuated by the fact that I place my effects before the amp. The DD-2 works well before the amp as long the gain isn't to high. I use a semi dirty amp with pedals to boost and the DD-2 works for what I need.

7. Tchello

Tchello Member

I can't hear any difference on DD2 and DD3. For me the two have the same sound.

8. jkr

jkr Supporting Member

I definitely hear a difference between my DD3s with the newer chip verse the DD2 with older chip. No doubt about it, there is a difference to my ears. Have Analogman modify your newer DD3 and will sound even better than a DD2.

9. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

if up to 300ms was my requirement , id be looking at analog delay.

10. Madsman

Madsman Member

I agree. Too many great analog delays on the market at good prices (less than $200)

If you need the feature set of a DD2, I can't understand not looking at AD9s and stuff like that.