Opinions on Evh Wolfgang standard

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by r0ck0ut, Oct 10, 2019.

1. r0ck0ut

r0ck0ut Member

Any thoughts on these?

2. rapaul76

rapaul76 Member

I tried one at my local guitar dealer and really liked it. I was gassing over it for a few weeks and decided to buy it. When I went back it was sold. At the time I was kind of relieved as I didn't need another guitar (and the Minister of Finance at home would have killed me), but I've thought about it often and still want to get one. I like the arm contour on it. I would really like the new gold top version!

MkIII Renegade and r0ck0ut like this.
  3. TopJimmy5150

TopJimmy5150 Member

They're great guitars but I dwarf that body shape. Ed is a fairly little guy and that guitar is perfectly shaped for him, but not for a 6'2" manatee like me.

4. drod1985

drod1985 Member

They're great values. I have a USA Peavey Standard, two MIM EVH Specials, and a EVH Standard that I modified with a 5-way blade switch for use in one of my cover bands. That Standard has endured at least a dozen 3+ hour gigs with zero issues.

monty likes this.
  5. monty

monty Member

I own both a Standard and a Special. The Standards are nice, some awesome ones came out over the last couple of years.

6. mertay

mertay Member

Tried at a store and really liked the tone, I wouldn't upgrade any of the components.

It's probably the touch the gives away the price so some luthier love could improve that. The top wasn't really eye catching but its been a while and looking at web seems they improved the looks too.

7. Jay Will

Jay Will Member

I’ve never played one, but I’ve never heard anything bad about them either.

8. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

The Wolfgang is fundamentally a great design, and now almost any import with a street price of $500+ is very well made!

I'm currently stalking some Specials. They have considerably higher street prices, but are very serious weapons......I don't consider it necessary to pay 2X to 3X the Special price for a USA Wolfgang.

shane8 and monty like this.
  9. gunslinger

gunslinger Member

It's probably a good guitar. But I'd rather buy a guitar that has an original Floyd Rose on it. My 1987 Kramer Baretta does.

10. RustyNails

RustyNails Member

They're cool looking, but too modern for my tastes.

11. monty

monty Member

See if you can buy a pre-MIM Special. Best deal in Wolfgangs.

12. Daytona57

Daytona57 Member

The guitarist, I play with, got a Special and it sounds great. With the right amp and pedals, the elusive brown sound is available.

I didn't get a chance to play it as I was on the drum kit.

Next time.

YMMV

monty likes this.
  13. GreatGreen

GreatGreen Member

I really dig these guitars. The first thing you notice when you play them is the neck. The profile and unfinished wood makes them feel amazing. They're generally bright, snappy instruments that sound and feel great too.

And they look great. Nice enough to not look cheap but not fancy enough to make you afraid of dinging them. Actually they probably look great beaten to hell. They're conservative but not boring, interesting but not radical. To me they've always looked like somebody set out to design a hard rock guitar by crossing the bodies of a Strat with a Les Paul and weirdly ended up with something that reminds me of a Telecaster. And of course, like a telecaster, the design doesn't really make sense until you see it against somebody playing it. It's a design that just looks... fun.

Wolfgangs are great because they ended up being cool looking guitars that sound and play really well. They're simply guitars made for high energy, high gain stuff with a smile on your face.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    monty likes this.
  14. RUSHFANnLV

RUSHFANnLV Member

This made me laugh out loud.:)

15. monty

monty Member

I've been saying the same thing for years. Eddie took the best parts of those guitars and came out with this.

milli vanilli likes this.
  16. milli vanilli

milli vanilli Member

I always saw it as super tele.

shane8 and monty like this.
  17. monty

monty Member

I remember reading a interview with one of the guys that helped develop the Wolfgang, he mentioned something about Eddie and Teles. Have to dig that up sometime and read it again. IIRC he mentioned Eddie wanting the same solidness as a Tele for the WG, or something like that.

milli vanilli likes this.
  18. S3bird

S3bird Member

I checked out a WG Standard this weekend. I didn't plug it since it was marked down due to electrical gremlins but I really liked the neck. Haven't had a floyd in 10+/- years and have been wanting one again and this might be the ticket. Honestly I was originally looking at a Jackson SLX Soloist but this WG caught my eye.

In your opinion is it worth it to go from a Standard to a Special?

19. monty

monty Member

Given the choice between a new Standard and a used Special, I'd go special. Can be has for around the same price and the Special has better hardware. Standard is still nice though, and have nicer finishes IMO.

20. S3bird

S3bird Member

Thanks for the feedback. My new guitar fund went for a new stove this winter so I'm in the research/dream stage lol

monty likes this.