Opinions on Hartman LM308 Op-Amp Distortion Pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by AqueousView11, Apr 7, 2008.

1. AqueousView11

AqueousView11 Member

I seached around and I couldn't find much information so here goes. I am after the vintage pro co rat tone, and I decided that the Rat II doesn't cut it after trying it at guitar center. I want the snarly, trebly tone of the vintage rat. I was going to purchase a keeley-modded rat until they stopped production, confirming that the current rats are sub-par. I will probably get the LM308N op-amp, instead of the LM308AH which is stock on the Hartman pedal. Does anyone have any experience with pedal and has compared it to a vintage rat. I'm also interested in the BYOC Mighty Mouse, but that is the only other vintage rat clone I know of. Here's a link - http://www.hartmanelectronicstore.com/product.sc?categoryId=11&productId=18

2. AqueousView11

AqueousView11 Member

3. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Pedal Trading Guru Silver Supporting Member

I recently acquired an LM308 in trade and used to have a Rat2 with the LM chip.
    Honestly can't tell much difference, but the added A/SYM footswitch gives the pedal a great 2nd channel, sorta sounds like a clearer, stronger Rat2 with more punch and slightly less smooth.
    So far, I like it more than my old Rat2.

I hear the AN chip is more trebly, but I have a good range on my AH one with my gear (LP/Flying V & Peavey Heritage VTX combo) so I'm happy.

4. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Search instead of bump. I know that there is a thread on it :BluesBros

5. soulsonic

soulsonic Member

Why not just get a used 90's-era Rat2 for $50?

6. AqueousView11

AqueousView11 Member

I didn't know they went for that cheap, but I do want a vintage rat, not a rat 2.

7. soulsonic

soulsonic Member

Yes, they are the same as the original.

8. flickerbot

flickerbot Member

I love the Hartman. I have an AH- the components inside are beautiful, not sure about what the old rats look like. I don't foresee this breaking down on me any time soon. Plus, Theo is really easy to deal with and will answer any questions you may have.

9. Snottyboy

Snottyboy Member

I recently acquired one of these, and I think it's a great pedal. Being a longtime RAT user for its versatility and distinct tone, this seems to take the versatility even further over the available two channels. Definitely worth checking out if you like RATs. Extremely quiet and and very well made.

Other opinions?