Opinions on mixer racks?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Gasp100, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I'm considering taking the plunge and buying the rack tray for my Mackie DL1608 ($100!!!) and then a rack case that has say 10U slant over 8U (with possible casters).
    It will make part or the overall rig considerably heavier, but at the same time it would protect the DL1608 and possibly cut my setup time even lower while consolidating a lot of gear/cabling.
    Any opinions?
    Seismic Audio seems to make stuff that will work. I know it's not a beloved name for speakers, etc... but this is literally just a rack.
    Anyone else use this kind of configuration? Opinions?
    Good idea? or too heavy, bulky, etc?

2. RCM78

RCM78 Member

I've been using Pro X racks and cases. I have the board mounted in a 14 over 8U rack. It's a good height for mixing.

3. retroLS1

retroLS1 Supporting Member

We have an SKB R102 that is a 10U over a 2U, but I would like to upgrade to a larger unit with more spaces in the front. SKB makes the Gig Rig, and Odyssey makes some pretty good ones at affordable prices. A "friend" band of ours locally runs an Odyssey FZ1008 and I might look into grabbing one:

http://www.odysseygear.com/odyssey-products/fz1008.html

Edit: He bought his own casters and drilled/bolted them into the bottom as I believe it does not come with them.

4. georgestrings

georgestrings Senior Member

I use an SKB pop-up mixer case for my Soundcraft FX16, and it's worked out pretty well - I prefer it over one of the "all in one" setups, as it allows me to use a modular approach for my PA needs...

- georgestrings

5. Gasp100

Yes, I'm actually looking for a way to consolidate a standard 4 space rack (bag) and a suitcase full of mics, cables + the Mackie. Those Odessy are good I used to have a Presonus rack but heavy on their own. A 10 over 8 would be a monster and might not be able for a single person (me!) to get it up and down my basement stairs. I guess once everything is dialed in (which is pretty much is) I could just get it into the house before / after gigs and let it sit. If I really needed to work with the AxeFXII I could pull it out and rack it in the studio.

6. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

7. MLG Audio

MLG Audio Member

Agree. I had a 14 over 14 rack on wheels for my studiolive 16. Kept the snake connected and rolled up underneath as well power distro, a sliding shelf, and a 4u drawer for all my odds and ends. They sell almost any size you would need.

8. Gasp100

WOW... haven't determine total price with shipping but holy crap, these look absolutely perfect.
    I'm wondering if 6U is enough:

1U - Power
    1U - IEM rack
    2U - AxeFX II
    1U - Eventually a Art S8 rack mounted splitter snake
    = 5U

My dream would be able to fit a 2U rack drawer for extra cables but I think that would tip the weight into 2 man territory and also still would not fit all of the cables I actually would need.

Ugh... shipping is $100 :(

9. modulusman

modulusman Member

EWI has great products for the money. I had one of their mixers cases for a Peavey fx16 and both my guitar players bought their rolling guitar amp cases from them.

10. MLG Audio

MLG Audio Member

Shipping sucks, especially for east coasters. But the saying is true: "buy once cry once".

I love all the gear nice gotten from audiopile. It's built incredibly well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

unless it's getting rolled up a ramp onto a truck, i vote for enough rack to house the DL on top, a couple sub snakes, splitters, etc underneath that stay hooked up (so you pull them out of the back and drop them on the stage and never have to climb around the back of the mixer again), whatever IEM setup you might have going on, and that's it!

storage and the added weight just makes the rack hateful to move and i don't see it cutting setup time; it could even make it more of a hassle if you can't put the mixer rack away until every stupid mic cable is wrapped, of if you can't get to a mic you need for something else without lifting out this entire big rack.

12. georgestrings

georgestrings Senior Member

I'm using a different approach - I have an XLS2000, XLS2500, 231 EQ, a Xover, and a comp in a 6U rack, a pair of XLS1500s in a shallow 4U rack, a pair of 215 EQs, and a Lexicon dual drive effects processor in a shallow 3U rack...

This allows me to use everything listed for a large hall setup with everything mic'd with my 16ch mixer and 4 monitor mixes - OR, I leave the 6U rack home for a small "tops on sticks" setup thru my 8ch mixer and 2 monitor mixes... The amps are all light enough that they're an easy carry, and I've got 'em cabled for easy inter connection for either situation - it's working really well for my current situation, so far...

Since digital boards and powered speakers are all the rage these days, good quality analog mixers and passive speakers can be had pretty cheap - and the Crown drivecore amps have proven themselves to be a reliable, good sounding - yet light - alternative to a powered speaker setup...

As always - whatever works for ya, I say...

- georgestrings