Opinions on Modulus Flea

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by doyle o'brian, Feb 11, 2008.

1. doyle o'brian

doyle o'brian Member

I helped my brother shop for a new electric bass yesterday and he ended up buying a 4 string Modulus Flea. We thought we were looking for either a stingray or an American Jazz Deluxe, but when we saw and played the Flea we thought we had found something cooler. Guitar Center had a silver flake model for full price and a blue flake model for half off! The salesman said they were blowing it out because it was a discontinued color. Neither of us knew much about the bass but we couldn't pass up the deal on such a great bass. Since I'm the kind of guy who painstakingly researches gear before making a purchase (as are most here on the forum), I was hoping you guys share some opinions on this bass and hopefully affirm that I did a good job in helping by bro pick out a bass.

2. Londoncalling

Londoncalling Member

I don't know squat about basses. I think it is way cool that you picked out a bass by playing it and liking it. Enjoy it!

3. tkozal

tkozal Supporting Member

It's a one trick pony...do you like Flea and the RHCP? Yes? Good...

It's typically seen as a great bass for slapping...

4. doyle o'brian

doyle o'brian Member

He is primarily a jazz upright player and never really gave a whole lot of thought to electrics, though he has always played them in funk and latin bands. He bought this bass to replace an American Fender Jazz Deluxe, and was definitely looking for a funky Flea type sound, but we didn't even know it was the Flea model when we first picked it up and plugged it in.

5. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

If you like music man Stingrays, then you'll pretty much dig the flea bass. 50% off is a no brainer, even if you don't like it, you could sell it for what you paid for it, easy.

The neck on it rules. Modulus graphite necks are Super stable.

Great for slapping. Also good for rock stuff.

There's no way you won't get noticed with a sparkle blue flake bass.

I think you lucked out.

6. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

Great bass, semi light weight, good necks, good overall quality, nice punchy sound :).

7. James Hill

James Hill Member

I have a Flea 5 with walnut top that I picked up at Planet bass that I really like. I don't really find it to be a one trick pony, the Aguilar preamp provides enough tonal options for me but of course that can vary from player to player. I plan on picking one up that has the jazz configuration very soon. Here is a pic of my Flea 5.

[​IMG]

8. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

My buddy has one, and it has the coolest rock sound (he doesn't slap).

He even used it for a drop tuned metal band, it totally worked out great.

9. dudeofmusic

dudeofmusic Member

Your brother's going to love it - he made an awesome choice. I play a Modulus Q4 (little different from the Flea bass, but close enough) and it's a great bass for any style of music, especially funk.

"Never had any complaints about the blue ones!" - Bill Murray, Where The Buffalo Roam

10. modulusrules

modulusrules Member

As an upright player first then a bass guitarist, you did GREAT! I LOVE my modulus (vintage J) and it is a GREAT bass for anyone. The Flea isn't a one trick pony, it just has the "graphite" sound like every Modulus. I love the sound and feel of the neck. It is a very tight sound. No matter how dark I make the controls, the note still has an edge.