Opinions on my Mesa cab / situation!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ibanez4life SZ!, Jul 27, 2008.

1. ibanez4life SZ!

ibanez4life SZ! Member

Hey guys!

So....long story short....I don't like Vintage 30's....they've never done it for me...can't stand the mid spike, so on and so forth...we've all heard it before.

I'm running them in a Mesa Traditional 4x12. The head is a Mesa Stiletto Deuce Stage II, which I really like.

I tried Greenbacks, and LOVED them....I'm afraid of only running 4 of them with a 100 watt head them, so I am purchasing 4 of the Eminence GB-12 speakers...gets me to a much safer 200 watts with a similar, maybe even better tone.

Now, my question. I have a chance to sell my Mesa cab altogether, and maybe jump on a Splawn 4x12 or something of the such, and load it with the Emi GB-12s.

Would you guys recommend this? I've never really tried many other high end cabs, but how does the Mesa stack against them? For some reason, I get the feeling they are very stiff cabs.

Is the Mesa Traditional a well built cab in itself? Or, if I have the chance, should I sell it for something like a Splawn, or some other brand all together?

Thanks much for the opinions and guidance!

Eric

2. ibanez4life SZ!

ibanez4life SZ! Member

Looks like this fell through the sea of posts....any opinions?

3. Ben Jam'n

Ben Jam'n Member

I have 4 greenbacks in a Mesa cab and run a 100 watt head...never a problem. But I don't play on '10' either.

I mostly like the Mesa cabs cause they're taller and have the best casters...

4. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

Mesa makes a pretty good cab, well built. The best? Thats subjective. But great for Hard rock/metal. I really like the Eminence GB128 speakers. I think Scumback and Weber make a higher powered Greenback style speakers as well. Check em out.

dk

5. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

I wouldn't worry about running 4 greenbacks with a 100Watt head, if you tried some and like them, than go that route.

On the cabs, I have heard great things about Splawn cabs, but your mesa cab is not slouch. I would try the greenbacks 1st in your mesa cab, if you don't get the results you want, than move to a bogner or Splawn cab....

6. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

Mesa's cabs are as good as anything else out there (I've owned several 1x12, 2x12, and 4x12's), so don't worry about that aspect of it. If I were in your shoes (and I've been there before), I'd try swapping out (2) of your V30's first. Mesa C-90's are an excellent match for V30's, as are G12H30's. This route may be a little cheaper than just buying (4) of them right off the bat.

Stormin!

7. photios

photios Member

the Mesa trad cab is a good one...the Splawn won't be a jump up in quality...if you want better then you have to go with an Orange, Bogner or even better the ENGL PRO line of cabs (best IMO).

As for speakers, don't sweat running 4 greenies with a 100 watt head...in fact that'd be a great match as they'll be driving hard and get some nice break up. Emi's are a matter of taste, but every pair of Emi's I've tried have a wierd honking thing going on in the mids that I just can't stand...I guess I'm just a Cele guy.

I agree with the poster that said mixing V30's is the ticket...V30's mic up great for live play and when mixed, they rock...try them with other speakers in an X pattern. They really are great speakers, though I never use 4 of them in a 4x12 (too much of a good thing)...always mix them with something else to give more complexity and balance.

8. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

I would keep two V30's and get two Greenbacks, and load them in an X shape. And keep the boogie cab. They are well built and you won't really find anything better.

9. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

I would go with the G12H's at 30 watts in an x patter with V30's. Its teh best sound 4x12 I owned...:cool: