Opinions on old Peavey Deuce II head+cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Lullabies, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Lullabies

Lullabies Member

might trade my Ampeg combo for an old Peavey Deuce II head with 4 6L6s and a Peavey cab (still waiting to hear what is in the cab)

I want this setup cause I would like more power and headroom BUT does this amp take fuzz/dirt pedals well ? Hard to find info on these online. Is it much different from the Deuce heads?

2. Lullabies

Lullabies Member

Anyone.. I know this is not a Dumble clone or a 65 amps amp but someone here has had to have experience with these and pedals ?

3. mcknigs

mcknigs Supporting Member

My first guitar amp was a Deuce II 2x12 combo. Realize it's a hybrid; solid state preamp. I own vintage Ampeg. I wouldn't trade one for the Deuce. If you feel the need for more power I would hope you could come up with enough cash to get the Peavey without divesting yourself of the Ampeg.

4. mcknigs

mcknigs Supporting Member

...Oh. and, I owned the Deuce II in the mid '70s. I used the master volume for dirt. Most pedals around today weren't invented yet, so I can't help there.

5. Charlie Dango

Charlie Dango Member

I own a Deuce II. Due to the solid state preamp it stays clean pretty much the whole way until you get close to maximum volume, then it has a grungy fuzz to it. It takes pedals very well, but is really bright...like presence on 15 bright. Turning down the treble control doesn't do much to tame it either. Not the best amp in the world, but an interesting one to say the least.

6. zenas

zenas Member

When I see a Duce or a Mace I look to see if it still has USA 6L6s and speakers worth the asking price.
    That way I'll break even on the speakers and if the tubes still have some life left it's a bonus.

Long story short even though I had one in the early 80s I really don't want one now.