1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Opinions on pickups for Schecter C-1 Plus

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by whiteop, Feb 4, 2012.

1. whiteop

whiteop Senior Member

I just bought a Schecter C-1 Plus used that's in pristine shape and plays and feels like a dream, however, I'm not sure about the pickups. They sound very good on distortion (at low volume in my house), however, the clean tone sounds a little muddy in comparison to some of my other guitars but I haven't played out with it live yet. I'm sure some of you have had the same experience that I have - that most guitars that have pickups that are a little bright at home can get a little ice-pickish when you play live.

So I'm just wondering if anyone else has a C-1 or C-1 Plus that has the H-102s (Seymour Designed) and what their thoughts and experiences have been with them, especially in live situations. I really do like the tones it has in general; it's good for classic rock and jazz from what I can tell. And it has one of the fastest necks I've played; one of the reasons I sold one of my guitars so I could get it (didn't need an Epiphone laying around when I have a Gibson). Discovered it after one of the teens at church asked if I would set it up for him; basically fell in love with it after I set it up. It took me several weeks to find a good used one that looks like it probably set in the case most of the time because there weren't any real scratches on it; basically buffed everything out and it looks like a new guitar. It basically sounds a lot like my Les Paul but is lighter; really reminds me of a PRS which is funny because I read somewhere online that Shecters were made in the same manufacturing plant as PRS and/or ESP, however, I dont' know if it's true.

2. EdMan57

EdMan57 Member

A friend of mine has a C-1 Plus that he installed a Seymour Duncan Custom 5/'59 set that works very well in his guitar.Sounds very good for both clean and overdriven tones.A Duncan Jazz at the neck would sound a bit clearer and give up less mids than a '59,if such was desired.Another good option is a set of DiMarzio 36th Anniversary PAF's.

Ed

3. whiteop

whiteop Senior Member

I have heard nothing but good on the Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAF. I may look that one up. I do like a neck pickup that can give me those chimey bell tones too. Looking at your equipment in your sig, it looks like you've probably been playing quite some time; nice pro gear you have there, Ed.

4. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Supporting Member

I have a C-1 Classic that has the real Duncan JB/Jazz set. Those pickups compliment that guitar extremely well.

5. whiteop

whiteop Senior Member

Are you able to get good singing leads with good sustain with them, particularly on the bridge pickup? That's one thing I really like about the stock bridge pickup that came in it. Guess I've gotten a little spoiled and used to better tones from good pickups I've dropped into my guitars over the years.

6. hawes

hawes Member

Love those guitars too. I didnt like the stock pickups that came with it. Too muddy for me. I tried a regular duncan custom and thought it was too harsh. Jazz neck worked pretty well for a while. Right now I have a dimarzio breed neck in the bridge and a duncan screamin demon in the neck. I find that I like the dimarzio's better in this guitar.

I really want to try a set of Lollars in this guitar next. I am into more lower output pick ups these days.

7. Agreed

Agreed Member

JB in the bridge and Jazz in the neck C-1 Classic is one of my favorite guitars (and I've got a collection, American, Japanese, Mexican, vintage and modern - that Korean Schecter I got in like 2006 is still one of my favorites for stability, playability, versatility, and great sound).

8. whiteop

whiteop Senior Member

Meant to mention I'm not a shredder but I do like a pickup that has good clarity, sustain, and sounds good distorted

9. Agreed

Agreed Member

The JB strikes a good tonal balance - while the JB Jr. mini-humbucker uses a ceramic magnet to get a little more heat in a smaller form factor, the full-sized JB is AlNiCo and has a more even response overall, not as sharp sounding but still hot enough to play metal easily if your other gear is up to it. It's a great generalist in the bridge, doesn't sound too dark or too punchy playing clean and it doesn't sound like crap coil tapped either :). Jazz in the neck is just one of my favorite pickups period, love the smooth, warm tone.

10. BrianmKillebrew

BrianmKillebrew Member

This. The duncan designed p'ups are just a touch muddier than real duncans. I put a JB in the bridge of my tempest and it really made the guitar shine.

11. whiteop

whiteop Senior Member

Okay sounds like the JB is a good fit for the bridge and the Jazz for the neck. Any other suggestions or the neck that isn't muddy and makes the middle setting (both pickups) sound good.

EDIT: After doing some more research seems like the JB and Jazz would be the best fit for my needs.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  12. EdMan57

EdMan57 Member

Thanks.Like so many others here on TGP,I have more stuff than I need,while still wanting even more,lol!I've been playing since '76,but only became a gear junkie within the last ten years,or so.Btw,a JB/Jazz set should give your guitar a solid tonal upgrade.

Ed

13. XmasTree

XmasTree Member

i have a Schecter Tempest Custom that I put a Gibson 57 plus in the bridge!
    best pickup ever, ever! ..i kept the SD 59' in the neck, which is also extremely awesome sounding

Jazz/JB combination would be awesome as well.
    or
    59/Custom 5

all of these will cover the entire spectrum of rock and even metal