opinions on Planet Waves Patch cables (vs George Ls)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Joost Assink, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Joost Assink

Joost Assink Member

2. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

George L's will add Mids & Highs/ additional brightness & presence due to its low cap.
    Planetwaves will sound more rounded not as defined in the upper freq's.

If your into the George L's Concept, take a look at the Bill Lawernce kit, its pretty much the same wire but the BL Plugs are Stainless steel with a set screw, vs compression fit planet waves or a thumbscrewed GL..

I'm sure a few members will chime in on the BL Kit, quite a bit of people here use them..

3. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

I have had both, planet waves were less bright and less nasally than the george l's...and they were much easier to make... I threw out the george l's and have had planet waves on my boards for years and have NEVER had a failure...my george l's crapped out on me ALL the time

4. Holliman

Holliman Triad Abuser

Planet Waves are very easy to make.

5. NB_Terry

NB_Terry Member

George L's are really easy to make, and it's nice that you cut exactly the length you need.

Having said that, I bought some of those PW cables on ebay for $25 for 5 of them. Great deal.

6. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

I really like the planetwaves.. and even with 10-12 TB pedals, I can a/b in a bypass looper and barely perceive a difference in tone. Never a failure, easy to assemble as anything.

7. earthtonesaudio

earthtonesaudio Member

I bought one cheapo patch cable from my local mom&pop music store, the last they had in stock. I asked if they had any more, they didn't, so they made some for me for cheaper than the brand they stocked (and which appear to be better quality besides)!

Something worth checking out, if you're lucky enough to have a small locally owned music store in your town.

8. TubeeTuberton

TubeeTuberton Member

I love my george L's. I have had PW before, they were good too. I just like George L better. I would have done Bill Lawerence as well but, I didn't know about them at the time.

9. DOMINIC

DOMINIC Member

go with the evidence audio monorail!

10. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

I've had and used both, George L's for several years and Planet Waves the last year or so. I've had no reliability issues with either one, and assembly was simple. I find that the GL's have a slightly smaller footprint on the board so some connections are a bit more space effective. As far as tone, I found very slight (if any) differences between the two. Possibly some loss of treble on the PW's but it was easily compensated for by a tiny tweak on my amp.

IMO both are good choices for a board.

11. Guitarist4u36

Guitarist4u36 Member

:agree

12. Joost Assink

Joost Assink Member

I am talking about the pre-made cables in the link (http://www.music123.com/Planet-Wave...-Patch-Cables-2-Pack-336002-i1129038.Music123)

They're 33 usd for two cables and according to the 'blurb' they have a flat frequency response. Because they're sturdy and premade, I foresee less trouble with them. I assume the length won't be an issue, even though I might be able to use even shorter cables. They're gold contacts and very well shielded. I don't think I could make them any better.

They look very high-end to me

13. ianb

ianb Member

Hey Joost,

Check out this link, NL dealer for Lava Cable, he stocks the Lava Cables kits for pedalboards:

http://www.premiumpedals.nl/?p=producten&g=27&lang=nl

A lot more for your money, and making them to size seems to be really easy.

I think I'm going to order a set or 2 for myself.

For more info you might also check out the Lava Cable website:

http://www.lavacable.com/lava.html

There is a thread on TGP right now on the Lava Cable pedalboard kits:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=508764

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  14. Snap

Snap Member

Planet waves cables sound pretty good, and they are a lot more reliable than George L's. I own multiple variations of cables from both companies.

And if you're looking at the pedal board kits, yeah planet waves is way better than George L's. I had L's crap out on my in the middle of several gigs, never had a problem with planet waves.
    Only thing though is that the planet waves are more susceptible to interference and aren't always as clear as the george l's (when they work) because they use coaxial cable in the planet waves kit.

15. Joost Assink

Joost Assink Member

thanks for the tip Ian! The Lavakit really seems great! However, I still don't like the idea of me f***in' up these home made connections. I have more faith in PW than me. At these levels of performance I wonder if I will hear a difference between those PW patch cables or the Lavakit.

Really, from what I understand these specific PW patchcables have perfect frequency response and very rigorous shielding. They're not the 'old' PW cables. They're 17 usd per cable after all! I agree it's a bit more money to pay, but it's worth it to pay the insurance of proper professional build quality versus my own hack job. I've never done this before, so odds are good that I'll screw up one of the 10 connections I have to make right?

16. Wheeler004

Wheeler004 Member

I've been using Gearge L's for a while now and I love them. They have been reliable and sound great also.

17. ianb

ianb Member

Joost,

Before deciding, you might have a look at the Lava Cable instructions on their website. It really isn't hard to do!

18. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

I think I'm a spaz...I had trouble making the lava kit cables I bought. I even watched the youtube videos!!

19. Joost Assink

Joost Assink Member

You're not a spaz. I looked at the instructions Ian and they don't seem fool proof to me. And when it comes to this I am a fool!
    The instructions had too many warnings and exclamation points as well. ;)
    I get the feeling some of you didn't click the link to the PW cables. They seem to be very well shielded. They even have copper housing inside the plug to shield the solder joint.

Well Ian, if I decide to go for the pw kit, maybe it'd be an interesting test for you to come by with your lava set and we could see what the difference is. It'd be a great excuse to watch you play electric guitar! You rock! :D

20. Joost Assink

Joost Assink Member

Hi Jeff
    That is a very kind offer! I live in the Netherlands though. Might still be an interesting option though. I'll pm you