Opinions on Recording -Fix mistake or not?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by squeally dan, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Kennybeeinfl

Kennybeeinfl Member

You are probably the only one who notices the "mistake". If it has the vibe you were looking for l would leave it. Very nice by the way.

squeally dan likes this.
  2. Kurt L

Kurt L Member

I agree. You’re not trying to create a pop hit.

I like the playing as-is. In some parts of the song, you’re going a long time between snare hits, which naturally serve as time-keepers. I like that the timing of your phrases drifts a little then resolves with the snare hit. It’s cool.

I agree that the mix isn’t dynamic; it seems very static. The challenge is that the music doesn’t have obvious “change things right here” places.

Hard to be much more constructive right now since I’ve only listened through my phone, not my studio monitors. But I dig the playing and wouldn’t worry about re-recording your track.

jmoose and squeally dan like this.
  3. mikefair

mikefair Supporting Member

Sounds great. I wouldn't change a thing.

squeally dan likes this.
  4. bruno_desmartass

bruno_desmartass Member

Very nice tune. Well played.
    A true "guitar players'" mix, though.
    I think a crisping up of the drums is in order, as well as maybe a little more organ.
    Guitar tone is great, as is the playing.
    Good job!

-Bruno

jmoose and squeally dan like this.
  5. jmoose

jmoose Member

Recording live shouldn't have anything to do with it... more about the approach and maybe the engineer was slightly out of his wheelhouse? The playing is better then the mix, they aren't on par with each other.

Obviously there's a lot of ways things could be mixed, but I'll say it sounds very odd to me & not a "breaking the rules" sort of way. Have a really hard time reconciling the super upfront bass with the drums... those tones aren't working together.

Its like the bass is sitting on the tip of my nose while I'm hearing the drums from down a long hallway and around the corner... meanwhile the guitar is in the room and the keys, are well, somewhere over there... towards the back wall or something.

Nothing is really existing in the same "acoustic space" which is really important for a jazz/fusion album. Everything here has its own sound and its not super cohesive. So really, if it was recorded live, and recorded well then it should be the opposite... it should be completely melted together.

Apologies if it seems like I'm being overly critical but I think some of the musical moments are calling attention to themselves by the janky mix, its not doing anyone any favors, and to a large degree this is what I do... make music sound good in translation and/or figure out why its not working.

If I had tracked/mixed it I'd probably use something like this for a reference... obviously this is totally live with everything in the same space. Great record BTW but I also really dig Charlie Hunter, his albums usually sound great.

6. Dasein

Dasein Member

It's really hard to offer criticism here because it sounds great -- like really great -- but absolutely there are a few things to be critical about and you may or may not fix them but at least knowing about them will help you be a better player.

Biggest thing that jumps out at me are several areas where the notes are tepid -- that's totally a performance and confidence issue that may just be the consequence of improv -- that slight lack of confidence and lack of commitment to the phrase you are playing. You hear the hesitation and the lack of confidence comes through in the dynamics - phrases that you'd normally "sell" get delivered more straight. The clunkers I'd worry less about (there were just a couple) and just work on selling my solos like you knew exactly what you were going to play with full intent every time..... but your playing itself is great - we're talking about next level for you -- and that next level is totally owning your improv and really selling every phrase with the confidence of a master improviser. Good luck.

7. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

Thank you so much for all the feedback. I wish I had the ear to truly hear all the things you bring up. At this point, not sure how much I can do about mix changes since I’m not really experienced enough to really notice the things you mention. I know the drummer mentioned the exact same thing you did regarding the drums. I definitely feel like from this experience I’m learning what I want to do differently the next time.

jmoose likes this.
  8. vchizzle

vchizzle Member

I thought your performance was really good. I didn’t hear anything that made me think you should record it over again. I’d prefer to hear something that sounds real rather than perfect and clinical. I suppose I could listen a few more times and try to pick it apart, but honestly, I just enjoyed listening to the song and would probably listen to it again. I liked it enough to want to hear it again. That’s more than most songs get from me. :)

squeally dan likes this.
  9. mbetter

mbetter Member

Listen to how those horns jump up. I'd like to hear the organ more like that in the op's mix. Not like I'd have any clue how to get there, just move some faders around until I get bored, I suppose.

10. vanderkalin

vanderkalin Member

Just a side story. For years if not decades I would hold up Since I’ve Been Loving You as an example of why old recordings were better because of the squeaky kick pedal. “ it was the perfect take, so they left it in! See?!” Then I read Light and Shade, and Page says something like “ that’s a big regret of mine, that We never caught and fixed that squeaky kick drum pedal”. Doh!

11. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

I sure appreciate the feedback and I totally agree. My lack of consistency in attack has really shown up in this project. It’s caused us to have to fix things and at times ride the faders. I agree it is lack of confidence.
    I haven’t recorded anything in close to 20 years, so this has really turned out to be a total learning experience. Last night I recorded a guitar melody on another song and you post came to mind. I really focused on being more consistent in the delivery. One thing that helped was turning the Guitar level downs but in my headphones. It caused me to play a bit harder which I think was helpful. The engineer mentioned that it sounded stronger than the previous take. Thanks again for the feedback!

12. Dasein

Dasein Member

Cool man - glad you took the feedback in that spirit. You play really well - your finger dexterity is there and your melodic sensibilities are on point - you’ve got the red light jitters..... that’s me too.... recording light goes on and I get self conscious and hesitant and meek.... it’s crazy what that little red light can do! I like the truck about turning down a bit and forcing you to dig deeper and attack. I’ll make a note on that for myself too!

13. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

I’ve been listening to the Charlie Hunter album this song is on and it does sound really great. The horns, drums, and bass sound great. The recording style definitely makes you feel like you are in the room with the musicians. Very cool. To me, the bass on this is also up in the mix but I love it.

jmoose likes this.
  14. MrSteve

MrSteve Member

I listened to this in my car on the way to work today. I listened to it as a consumer of music not as a guitar teacher looking to give constructive feedback. I liked it a lot...the composition and your playing. I would buy your CD based in this song and your performance. I didn't hear anything that stood out to me as a mistake. I'm sure there were things you played in a way you didn't intend to that seem to you to be glaring mistakes, but essentially this isnluve music and that will happen. If you wanted, you could do a few more takes and pick the one you like best, no harm in that. But don't try to perfect it to death. You could do 20 takes and cut and paste them together, but I think that would be the antithesis of then type of.music.you're playing.

squeally dan likes this.
  15. beanbass

beanbass Member

That's good. I heard the sliding note you're talking about, it works. It adds character, it's one of those cool moments that happens in that one take. I only noticed it because you had me listening for it, otherwise I would have thought it was just a cool moment.

squeally dan likes this.
  16. jmoose

jmoose Member

Its more or less because you are in the room with them... that's how it was recorded. With intent, not an afterthought.

Yeah the bass is up in the mix but its also melted in with the kick drum. They work as one piece to hit accents & drive the song, they aren't out of proportion with each other.

squeally dan likes this.
  17. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

Thank you. Truly appreciate the feedback. I think at this point I’ve gotten used to the particular note and I’m leaving it there.

18. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

I ended up leaving it as is and glad I did.

https://www.huntercopeland.com/music/

Moby Dick and MrSteve like this.
  19. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

This is an important custom in many cultures. Once the Navajo nation met in NYC to demonstrate their sand paintings. Onlookers noticed a small section that wasn't quite finished. They pleaded with the shaman to complete it for them. He laughed and said if he completed that particular sand painting every woman of childbearing age in NYC would be pregnant by morning.

I think the recording sounds fine as is for what it is. Once you go for master mix quality, that's a whole other ball game.

squeally dan likes this.
  20. xjojox

xjojox Tardis-dwelling wanker Gold Supporting Member

I heard no obvious clams. Just subtleties as have been noted and yes the mix could use some special sauce.

Recordings are forever, so I do tend to fix obvious things. But if the vibe is good, as others have said you don’t want it too sterile.

I really like the tune. It’s got a hook, makes a nice ear worm. I’m humming the main melody. Well done.

squeally dan likes this.