Opinions on redoing my setup.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TubeeTuberton, Feb 14, 2009.

1. TubeeTuberton

TubeeTuberton Member

I am thinking of changing my setup to a more simple layout. I mainly play at church or jam with some friends. Music style varies a lot but I feel comfortable enough that I can cover most of the spectrum with playing style rather than needing a ton of effects. Granted I would like to buy just about everything in the effects emporium however, this economy and my bank account would not allow it. Anyhow, this is where I stand. I play my strat into a Hot Rod Deluxe 212. The effects chain goes as follows on a Pedal-Train PT2.

Guitar --> True bypass modded crybaby --> Timmy --> OCD --> MXR Phase 90 --> Demeter Tremulator --> DD6 delay --> Tuner --> Amp

All ran through a 5 channel looper with the tuner at the end for a buffer.

I want to either buy a Pedal-Train Jr. or just make a board and find a case for it. I will probably sell everything including the board and it's gig bag case. If so, I will only run one OD, maybe a Zvex BOR, a delay, a trem pedal, a compressor and of course a tuner. If I build a board I will try and make some inputs on the side of the board using Nuetrik female jacks. Not sure how to wire them up though. I built my looper and figure it can't be much harder than that. That is it though. Any suggestions or opinions are welcome. Either about how to build a board, what pedals to keep or buy, or from someone who has done the same thing. Thank you.

2. TubeeTuberton

TubeeTuberton Member

anyone? any thoughts, ideas, etc.?

3. LeeSympathetic

LeeSympathetic Supporting Member

Your board right now seems pretty simple already.
    Its great, though.

Maybe if you don't need the tremolo you can take that out
    or the phase90

4. NBarnes21

NBarnes21 Member

It sounds like you could fit that setup on a Pedaltrain Mini. I just made this one and am really happy with it, it's really light and easy to lug around. I'm powering it all with a 1 Spot.
    [​IMG]

5. TubeeTuberton

TubeeTuberton Member

Tremolo I need. Getting an Empress Trem this week. The Demeter will be sold. The Phase 90, although a good pedal, doesn't get used much. Now, as stated earlier, I would like to own and keep a ton of pedals that are out there but, I want my setup to be more travel friendly and more useful. That is why I think I will get more work from compression than phase. Thank you for the input so far.

6. TubeeTuberton

TubeeTuberton Member

What would the main size difference be in this and the Jr? I ask in case you have tried both and found one to be better.

7. NBarnes21

NBarnes21 Member

The mini is wider but is only 1 row deep, the Junior is thinner but has 2 rows. I settled on the mini because it's really light and easy to carry around, and I don't really like reaching for a 2nd row of pedals.

8. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

I wouldn't change it - it's already pretty basic.

Two OD's is very handy, and your Timmy doubles as a boost. The OCD will do med-high gain, and your phase and delay are great for modulation.

I think you're already there!

9. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

wow... that's alot of gear for church. What type of place of worship needs a wah/timmy/ocd? Are you doing solo's during prayers?? I'm half kidding and half serious. Not JUST being a smartass.

10. Shawn S.

Shawn S. Member

Modern church music is demanding of distortion and effects. I tend to use more of both for church stuff more than regular gigs. Wah as a filter effect is really common, and they tend to prefer lusher phase sounds over barely-present chorusing effects. I understand your seriousness, but most people dont understnad that the music is quite "heavy".

11. LeeSympathetic

LeeSympathetic Supporting Member

Everyone has their preferences.
    I play at church and I have about 8 pedals, and I'm still planning to upgrade some other pedals.
    The number of pedals you have does not determine the worship you give.
    Personally I think his setup is fine,
    I mean some P&W people have over 20 pedals and that's fine. Some people have 2 and that's fine.

12. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

Hi,
    I've read and re-read your post and you don't really explain why you want to sell "all" your pedals and get a BOR...

The point is, what is the "sound" you want?
    For convenience just get rid of the looper and it should all fit on a homemade board.
    I made a board from a piece of 3/4" plywood.

If you get specific about the sound you are after, you may get more responses.

13. TubeeTuberton

TubeeTuberton Member

Do you have a case for the mini? I would need to put my looper on it which takes up a lot fo room also so, I will look at it.

I know but, I want different pedals for modulation and maybe even the OD section. And although the Boss delay and Boss pedals in general are not looked upon as being GREAT effects, I don't know what I would do without my DD6. Love it!

During prayers, communion, baby dedications, etc. Really though, I could use more effects but rely more on my playing and different tricks to get swells and such. I could certainly make use of several other pedals though, flangers, reverbs, etc.

Agreed and exactly. It is more about an atmospheric sound now than just chords and everything in C.

Yep.

I guess I could have worded it differently but, I really just want a change and the looper leaving would not be part of that. I need it for certain pedals and if I do a custom board, it will more than likely have two smaller rows in which I do not like stepping over pedals and accidentally tweaking my pedals. Anyhow, the sound is just simple but effective. I love the tone of most of the great names mentioned on this site but, I really just want my own sound.

14. fieldsroyal

fieldsroyal Member

If you want to get all your drive sounds in the one convenient package try to find a Menatone Fish Factory - this has replaced many OD's for me. - does everything from the lightest drive right up to heavy Marshal tones on the Blue Collar side. :RoCkIn