opinions on selling pedals on Reverb.com

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DSL74, May 4, 2015.

1. DSL74

DSL74 Member

So does anyone think Reverb.com is a good market place for selling pedals? I am kind of frustrated with it myself. Tried to sell several pedals at fair market and below prices in the past and have had no luck. Even with some really good vintage ones that I ending up selling on CL. Is there some secret to getting things sold on Reverb and does anyone feel the TGP Emporium works better? I have not tried the Emporium yet.
    Thanks.

2. flyonthewall150

flyonthewall150 Supporting Member

Had more luck on reverb than the emporium, just have to price things fair. If you're not selling the latest trendy pedal of the month on TGP then nobody cares or they always want to offer $10 less than the already fair price you've listed it at.

angelsvictory likes this.
  3. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

depends on what you're selling. I sold a Strymon El Cap within a day or 2, but had an Echo Park listed for weeks with no bites. Fair/competitive pricing helps, but sometimes it comes down to right place/right time/right pedal

4. zetamkiii

zetamkiii Member

Wouldn't hurt to try list on as many places as you are comfortable, you are only increasing your chances. Personally I never bothered with Reverb, ebay and the Emporium have treated me kind over the years, but I'm a very patient person compared to most people. "If it's rare enough, someone will eventually get desperate", that's always been my philosophy when buying/selling gear. It also helps if you have your gear listed at an inflated price even if you've just got it and are currently using it. You never know, and at the very least it creates an artificial bubble/illusion that the gear is worth more to other people so they may jump on the opportunity once you decide to list for cheaper, or send you an offer. It's always good to have a potential buyer or two ready just in case.

Bottom line is, Your gear should always be on the Emporium, even if it's not for sale.

5. Rango

Rango Supporting Member

I've had okay luck there. My ads with good pictures and a fair price worked pretty well. ;)

vashondan likes this.
  6. UrbanHymns

UrbanHymns Supporting Member

I've sold about 25 pedals on Reverb. Often times, I post the pedal both on Reverb and in the Emporium, but get a quicker sale with Reverb (within 2-3 days) that requires little work from me other than posting the ad. It's is super easy to use with their mobile app and when someone wants to make an offer, there is a formal way for them to do that. Their fees are low (3.5%) and you don't have to deal with the hassle of responding to PM's asking for a lower price or paypal info or "have you sold it yet?" or "will you trade for this never-heard-of fuzz pedal?".

I have had luck in the Emporium selling pedals that are the latest TGP hype (Strymon, for example). But trying to unload an Ibanez TS9 in the Emporium is like trying to get a foreign dictator to unload his nukes.

Also, a "fair price" for used pedals is usually 60-75% of whatever the pedal sells for new. I say that because sometimes people think they should get $180 for a pedal that sells for $200 new, simply because it was "new" a few months ago. I just saw a used Strymon Flint on there for $295 + $6 shipping. They sell for $299 NEW and are in stock at dealers!!!

Last edited: May 4, 2015
    Boundcustom and crev71 like this.
  7. Rango

Rango Supporting Member

Spot on. ;)

crev71 and Glitch Magnet like this.
  8. slap_back05

slap_back05 Supporting Member

I sell stuff there, and usually when it sells there it goes pretty quickly. Never had anything set on there and sell longer than a week.

Stuff that sits for a while tends to sell on here in the emporium eventually. Sometimes on Facebook, too.

9. guitarno

guitarno Supporting Member

I'm trying to sell a guitar there now with little success. Lots of watchers & hits but zero offers or contacts from potential buyers. Granted it's not a vintage guitar but I thought I would at least get some interest.

https://reverb.com/item/565548-godin-progression-2008-stratocaster-style-guitar-w-duncan-single-coil-humbucking-pickups

Maybe the market for this guitar just isn't there, but it's actually a pretty good guitar with some nice features.

Maybe I should go back to eBay or list it on Amazon.

10. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Reverb stuff just sits and never sells. Put it up on eBay and it moves almost immediately. I don't mind paying the extra fee for eBay b/c I usually get a higher price anyway.

Emporium works sometimes, but I find the only stuff that moves on there is the stuff that's hard to find and then they always want a DEEP discount.

I've never understood the push back on here against eBay - if you need something sold the it's the way to go, imo.

11. DSL74

DSL74 Member

What has really frustrated me with Reverb, is I have seen the same model pedal sell for a little more than I was asking. And it wasn't like there was a difference in condition or anything. Actually, one I was selling was in newer, better condition and less $$ than some that got sold on Reverb in the same time frame.

12. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Probably b/c they have a "bump" feature that you have to pay for that automatically puts your stuff at the top of searches for your item.

13. DSL74

DSL74 Member

Could be. Seems like either that or it's because my camera takes crappy pics.

14. D Rock

D Rock Member

If I price stuff fair, I can usually sell stuff in one or two days on reverb for most pedals. I've even bought a few pedals on here, played them for a few weeks, and then made a nice profit on reverb.

I would use ebay if trying to get top dollar, but then you are going to get eat up with fees.

vashondan likes this.
  15. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Member

Reverb is great - sold probably 30 pedals there myself.

You can tell precisely how over or under-priced an item is by how fast it sells. Start high-ish and price-drop until it's gone.

16. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

I haven't had anything sit on Reverb for more than a week, personally.

The problem with Ebay is the fees, they're taking 10% or more these days.

17. D Rock

D Rock Member

Same, If it's sitting chances are it's overpriced.

18. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

Reverb is the best

19. IndyMead

IndyMead Member

I love Reverb. I've sold several things on there and just sold an Ego Compressor on there for a solid price in literally 2.5 hours.

20. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

Reverb.com is less bad than ebay in terms of fees: ~14% vs ~9%.

The problem (for the seller) still remains on both sites: paypal.
    I haven't sold anything in not working condition or defective unless I mention it on the description. But I've read several times of people returning full working stuff after a few weeks (or even months!) of having the product on their hands claiming that it's not working.