Opinions On Solid Pedal Connectors ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by majorledhead, Feb 4, 2008.

1. majorledhead

majorledhead Member

Those 1/4 to 1/4 straight and crank style connectors. Good, Bad, Ugly ? Any reviews on tone or reliability ? Or are you better off with 2 connectors and a tiny piece of cord. I'm waiting on a couple pedals that will give me five from one professor, and with all the jacks lining up, I'm thinking I can really squeeze the overall size of my new board down with these connectors that I found that have a 5/8" knurl between the plug ends.

2. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Bump - I'd like to know, too.

3. andrewi

andrewi Member

I know there have been threads on here about this topic before, the reviews were not overly favorable.

4. tlpruitt

tlpruitt Member

I don't like them.
    They put too much stress on the jacks and the pedal enclosures when you stomp on the pedals or the pedals get kicked around. Even if the pedals are mounted firmly on a pedal board the pedals will move when you step on them and solid connectors put too much stress on the jacks and enclosures

-Tim.

5. cray2008

cray2008 Member

Use George L's-it's a soderless connection and you can cut the cables to your desired length.

6. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

Nearly all pedals are cast with ever-so-slightly sloped side walls (apparently, this makes it easier to get the boxes out of the casting mould). If you set down two pedals next to each other on a flat surface, you should be able to see if the side walls slope or not - IIRC, Boss pedals are among the ones with the least "slope".

Hook up two pedals with one of those solid connectors and hold them up - I bet you can see that they will make a slight "V" shape. On a pedalboard, this means that stepping on one will make the other lift (or try to lift) from the board - not good.

/Andreas

7. ScottR

ScottR Silver Supporting Member

there was a big thread on this a couple weeks ago

8. majorledhead

majorledhead Member

I missed the big thread, but what you guys have said makes sense. So, whats the shortest, quality connector, that will keep the spacing between pedals to one inch or less and still give you some flex?

9. dB

dB Member

I think the Lava Mini ELC could do that.

10. giggedy

giggedy Member

I've heard that if you used enough of those with enough pedals, you could make a big circle.