Opinions on strings

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by donnyjaguar, Jun 15, 2006.

1. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

Howdy, this may seem like a silly question but has the quality of regular-cost guitar strings improved in the last 15 years?

For years I'd always used GHS Boomers 11-50 with good luck. I just found they didn't break as often as others - I do lots of evil bends. More recently I got a guitar with D'Addario 10-46 and they seem indestructible. Furthermore the local music store talked me into trying Ernie Balls 10-46 which I put on my Strat and they sound perfect, although its too soon to attest to their durability.

I did recently buy some Asian made strings which lasted about a week and threw the intonation out, thereby confirming that not all strings are created equal.

What have you guys/gals found to be the most durable?

DJ

2. el34power

el34power Member

I buy Webstrings. $2.85us a set.... Stupid low shipping cost.:AOK

3. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

I like 'boutique' strings the best - Snake Oil Brand is my favorite, but I like Pyramid too.

That said, I mostly use Ernie's, D'Addario's, and GHS. Some of my guitars get 10-46, some hybrids 9-46, and some get 9.5's. I'm going to 9's on some of the Strats ...

My findings are that when I play live gigs, they all sound the same after the first set. I change my strings before virtually every gig - it makes the playing much more pleasureable to me.

For recordings and on whims I use the more expensive stuff like SOB's and Pyramids.

Dana

4. madsr

madsr Member

I use DR pure blues 11's..they are the best strings I have ever used.. long lasting and nice feel

5. DK207

DK207 Member

I have a set of Ernie Ball Power Slinkys 11-48 that I've had for about a year now, I only change when I break em (not too often). They seem to last a long time for me.

6. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

Interesting on the boutique strings, and also interesting that GHS, Ernie Ball and D'Addario are all durable. Round these parts the D'Addario are the cheapest. I find that some strings have a nice sparkle when new (with the exception of GHS) but like you say, after a couple of tunes they all sound basically the same.

DJ

7. James Knox

James Knox Member

I play live 2 times each week - 2 different guitar; fresh new strings every time. If I don't, sure as hell I will break a string in the middle of a song, and with a floating bridge Strat, you're screwed :nono

THEREFORE, I use D'Addario's. I have found them to be the most consistant from pack to pack. I buy them a box (of 10 sets) at a time from GC for $30 a box ($3 a set). 2 sets a week, $6; 52 weeks a year = $312. A small price to pay for good tone and intonation IMHO.

My 2 choice would be Ernie Balls.

Peace,

James

8. stratman89

stratman89 Supporting Member

I use Ernie Ball exclusively and have for years now. I think you can't go wrong with GHS or D'Addario's either. I just find the Ernie Ball strings to be the most indestructable no matter which guitar I use, Les Paul, SG or my Strats.

9. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I didn't notice any significant difference with the more expensive strings, so I went back to D'Addario XL's. Which, after trying the others, sounded and felt better to me! It's all down to preference, I'm guessing. Like, some people WANT that new wound string 'zing' to last a month rather than a week or 2... I personally hate it and work at it to get rid of it. And then I didn't notice much of a difference at all with 'peak' longevity.

Also, with the SOS strings in particular, they felt a little looser... which is totally fine... but I moved to 10's not for the tone but for the tension (and honestly, string life). I'm probably too used to the D'Addarios! They never break on me, they take a long time to die, and they're readily available for low prices just about everywhere. I know, I'm beyond help.

BTW Bluzbraker- I also find that they're very very consistant from pack to pack over the... geez... 15 years I've been using them.

-Ben

10. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

ive been using snake oils for a whil;e now...i wont go back to anything else. these string are the tits. seriously. 10's feel like 11's, bend like 9's last at least 3 times longer (IMO) than off the shelf strings. i used XL110's for years until i tried the snakes.

11. elambo

elambo Member

Lovin' the snake oils!

12. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

DR Blues .10s for electric.

*PURE* BLUES

13. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

DR *Pure Blues* Series :RoCkIn
    Worth every last penny!
    Peace,
    Mass

14. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Member

After trying a bunch of different brands and types of production (i.e. not boutique) strings about five years ago I settled on D'Addarios and have been using them ever since. I change strings after about 20 to 30 hours of playing; I can just start to hear the intonation go out at around the 20-hour mark, and can't stand it any more after 30 hours or so.

15. Aahzz

Aahzz Member

D'Addario 10-46. I'll try others occasionally - most recently DR's, but nothing in my mind outperforms the D'Addarios. Maybe I'm used to them, but they're the tone I like, and the feel - and it doesn't hurt that they're cost effective. I'd pay more if I got something out of it, but for me nothing beats the D'Addarios.

16. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Just to me in my own opinion I would have to agree with you guys on the D'Addarios.
    I chose the DR Pure Blues becuase I favor nickel, but most of all the main issue being that my fingers just prefer round wonds instead of hex cores.
    To me in my travels I have found that strings are much like wine...a flavor for everybody.
    Take care,
    Mass

17. AndyFender

AndyFender Member

18. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

I dont buy into the whole snake oil thing one bit ( yawn ) , D`addario 10-46 are perfect for me and I see no reason to change.

Bryan

19. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

There's certainly varied feels of tension between different brand strings of the same gauges ...
    This is one 'strong' truth I've learned throughout the years...

For Instance, Snake Oil strings have way too much tension for for moi'...

---

20. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Wow... you resurrected a 2 year old thread for that? :D
    And over the past 2 years since my last post in this thread, I tried the Snake oils again, didn't like them, went back to D'Addario's and ultimately found Curt Mangan strings which I am currently enjoying a whole lot.