Opinions on THD Univalve

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Denny, May 23, 2005.

1. Denny

Denny Member

I'm considering trading my Mesa Maverick head for a THD Univalve. I play through a Marshall 4x10 slant cab w/ original celestions. Classic Rock, Blues, southern rock, etc.. My Main amp is a TopHat 2x12 Club Royale (which I absoultely love). I'mlooking for an amp that sounds great at low and full volumes. What say you all??

Thanks

Denny

2. markp

markp Member

I love the UNI>
    For those styles the FLEXI is by far my favorite,and of course everyone on the gear page could tell you about alot of better amp too nail those styles.
    The UNI with some tube swaping can get in the range of alot of those tones and is a blast for some of us.
    I use the uni as a snotty gain monster with boost pedal in front.Turn boost off and back the volume down and it is sorta ACDC ,but it is a bright amp with not a huge botom.and really needs the right speaker combo to love it.
    It has a great sweetness in the mids and I love the way it blends with some organ and synth sounds.

Every time I get amp gass I think about selling UNI but I cant because I love it for what it is.

Check out univalve.net

3. Dave Cowley

Dave Cowley Member

The Univalve is drastically brighter than the Maverick (at least than the Mav 1x12 combo). I think it's gainier than the Mav with 2 12AX7s installed, and doesn't sound as hoarse to me when driven. It is really sensitive to speakers, but I'd guess a Marshall 4x10 would sound pretty good with it.

The attenuator in the Uni is not as wonderful as you might hope. It is good for small reductions in volume, but really doesn't sound that good when cranked down to the levels that let somebody else in the house watch TV. It really wants to be run at a goodly volume to sound its best. If you try too hard to tame the volume, you may find it harsh-sounding.

You don't mention the guitar(s) you'll be playing, but I find the Univalve sounds really good with P90 pickups and an EL84 in a Yellowjacket adapter, or for humbuckers I really like a good 6V6 in it.

4. sampleinajar

sampleinajar Member

Well, everyone hit the big points already. I'll just say that my experience is totally consistent with what these folks have said. The amp is very picky about guitars/tubes/speakers. It is relatively bright, and lacks bottom end. A good speaker and cabinet combination can help with that. All of that said, there have been a few times with the Uni where the tone I was getting (in a band context), was absolutely phenomenol. It is a very sweet amp, but you'll need time to dial it in to your liking. I read the first response and had to laugh because I had the same experience. I have ofetn thought of selling mu UV to fund other purchases, but I don't think I'll let it go. It would make a KILLER recording amp, if you do a lot of that.

Cheers,

Steve

5. Big Al Z

Big Al Z Supporting Member

I agree with the others with the added comment of your wanting a "full volume" amp. The uni didn't provide me with a clean sound anywhere loud enough for a gig - and that was with the "Ricky Nelson/50s" band.

6. Relicula

Relicula Supporting Member

I have had a Uni for quite sometime, and I agree to a point with some of the other posts. It can get bright, and I tamed it with a 12at7, the right spkr combination is key, I have found a Marshall 1-12 (model 1912) works best for me.

I dial the treble right out of it, leave it all the way off most times, it sounds great to me, and has not been on the selling/trading block for sometime. I dont know of any 15 watt amp that has enough clean headroom, nor in fact is it designed for bedroom volumes. Mike it if you need to for gigs, and forget about the attenuator, it just makes the raspy thang worse.

The tube swapping feature alone is worth the price, you can really get an idea of the differences between NOS, and new tubes, and its just been a fun amp to play.

7. oldgtarz

oldgtarz Member

I've been using my Univalve (#1413) for some time now, mainly in my studio. It's my first choice for just about any guitar, if it doesn't work I swap a tube or two and usually that'll fix it. If it really doesn't work I can go to a Marshall Plexi reissue or JMP1 at the flick of a switch!

8. Ogre

Ogre Member

I heard lousy cleans and buzzy, bottom deficient overdrive. The Bi-valve is a much better amp!

9. trisonic

trisonic Member

The Uni is an exceptional amp. I like mine with RCA 12ax7, Mullard 12ax7 then RCA 6v6 thru the biggest 1x12 you can find with a singleton Blue (the real deal).
    Great edge of distortion and cleans with this. Controllable from guitar.

Best, Pete.

10. Sam Evans

Sam Evans Compliance Officer Gold Supporting Member

Loved my Uni, and will soon replace it. Thru my 4x12, it's full and clear. The cleans are great with the a 6L6, IMO. Loved the Bi as well. Similar tones, just bigger. I think it can be bright, but not near as bright as my Alessandro or /13 for that matter.

Sam

11. Denny

Denny Member

Thanks everyone. Sorting through the replys, I'm gonna keep my TopHat 2x12 Club Royale and Trade th eMesa Maverick head and 4x10 Marshall for something else. Thanks a bunch. "Keep your tooooobs warm"!

12. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Tough to do that in one amp. What kind of sounds are you looking for that your TopHat does not do? Louder? Quieter? Cleaner? Dirtier?

13. Denny

Denny Member

The TopHat does everyhing I need it to do. I just have extra gear, and want to recuce th e"fat" to maybe some smaller stuff, or lower watt stuff. I'am not going to get a Uni unless i can try one through my cabinet - too many subjective variables to deal with. Thanks for your input.

D