Opinions on the Emma Reezafratzitz v.1?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JamesSGBrown, Jan 26, 2012.

1. JamesSGBrown

JamesSGBrown Member

Hi, all!

So, I just wranged an RF1 from evilBay. £90, not too bad I felt, as the new price is around £160 for the v.2.

I haven't been able to try one- no where I know of stocks them. I was set on selling my Bad Monkey and investing in a Blackstar HT Dual (the emulated output is something I may regret not having), but as the Dual goes for about £110 used, I figured I'd be spending less keeping my Bad Monkey and getting the Emma.

So, anything I should know? How does the lack of separate bass/treble controls affect its running against the v.2? I've been looking for a crunchy, saturated-but-not-scooped sound. Modern vintage, kinda Fugazi-ish. I'm running a 1970 SG Standard into a Laney VC30 atm, with the standard DL4, Holy Grail, Whammy etc.

Thanks in advance!

James

2. JamonGrande

JamonGrande Supporting Member

Great pedal, lots of range. The drawback to the lack of seperate tone controls is that it can be quite bass-y (though not boomy). You should be able to get the sound you are talking about by experimenting with the bias knob and gain together. You can go from a crunchy rhythm sound to pretty gained out, with the bias shaping how present the mids (pretty wide q) are and the overall texture.

I had two primary issues with it - when hitting it with another od or boost pedal in front (with Reeza set to a lighter gain sound) the volume did not change, only became more saturated (so no stacking for rhythm/louder lead sounds). It did also tend to internally feedback if I was doing some crazy stacking (Reeza at mid gain settings w/ Screwdriver added for fuzzy overload sounds). So at the time it didn't fulfill my needs.

Regardless of my issues, I still think its a great pedal.

joe

3. es125luv

es125luv Member

I have had both the V1 and V2 and notice little difference in both. These are fantastic pedals. I really like them at lower gain settings as well as their mid to high gain sounds.

4. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

I use my V1 as a lead boost after my OCD. So with everything else set for dirty rhythm (clean boost into OCD at low gain), I can then kick on the Reeza with the gain very low for a little more mid-rangey, Marshall-y lead tone.

Great, great pedal IMO, although it works better with some amps than others. My only issue is that most of my favourite sounds at at the very bottom of the gain range.

Let us know how you get on with it.

5. JamesSGBrown

JamesSGBrown Member

Thanks for the responses, I'll definitely give an assessment as and when it arrives :)