Opinions on the Fender Classic 50's Strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Lt_Core, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Lt_Core

Lt_Core Supporting Member

This past weekend I had a couple of hours to kill to I went to the local guitar store and played a bunch of Strats: American Standard, 70's Strat, MIM, Classic 50's and a Highway 1. The Classic 50's Strat really stood out, IMHO. I loved the pickups. Seemed more present and full. From what I've read there is a bigger block in the 50's Strat that adds a little bottom end and sustain, but I'm not 100% sure on that. The 4 position at first was very strange, I'm used to that neck/middle sound but it must be a neck/bridge setting. I kind of liked it. Just curious what you guys think on the Classic 50's Strat. Thanks!

2. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

i can't comment on the strat, but i have a 50s classic tele that's unbelievable. it plays like a tele is supposed to, and is very light and resonant.

if you don't like the 4 way switch, swap it for a 5 way. if you ever decide to sell it, i doubt anybody will know the difference.

3. Lt_Core

It has a 5-way switch, the 4th position is neck/bridge and the middle is hum-canceling. That's what I meant to say. Glad you like your 50's Tele. Yeah, very resonant...I was shocked. I'm more of a Les Paul guy but really enjoyed playing this Strat.

4. blueslover

blueslover Member

You should consider the 50's classic player strat, I think they are being cleared out at GC (so it should be even cheaper than the classic series) and it has better pickups and is designed by the CS.

5. Lt_Core

No deals on GC's website...standard $699 pricing like other big retailers. They only come in Shoreline Gold and two-tone Sunburst now. They used to have other colors.

6. blueslover

blueslover Member

Here's what you can do, you can call any store (and depending on if you get a helpful salesman, you should be able to relatively easily) and have him do a "chain-wide" search for you. They will be able to locate the color you want for you and "drop-ship" it to your door. You might have to pay shipping (which is around $10). Sometimes they will tell you that they cannot do one or more of these tasks (if they tell you this, its just because they are lazy). You should be able to get one with just a little bit of effort. And you still get the 30 day return policy if you don't like it. Hope that helps you out.

7. hardys

hardys Member

I'm seeing these priced at $799.00, including GC. Did they recently raise the prices!

8. Lt_Core

Thanks for the info. I visited our local GC during lunch. There are less than 40 available across the country at GC. They are blowing them out for $524 (Shoreline Gold) and $542 (two-tone Sunburst). They would drop-ship it free to my house. Those prices include a $40 gig bag. Won't ship without some kind of case, of course. Now I have to sell my 2001 MIM Strat and some pedals to get it. Gotta love G.A.S.!!!!!!! :)

9. blueslover

blueslover Member

After they ship it to your house, you can return the gig bag and get $40 back. Is it sad that I know the ins and outs of GC? Lol.

10. bigwebb

bigwebb Member

bump for more info on this guitar. I have a chance to pick one up today for 280 with a gig bag. How are you guys liking them?

11. Ciroxin

Ciroxin Member

Classic Player 50 is the best low budget Strat that I have played. Very consistent too.

12. sliberty

sliberty Member

I had a Classic 60's Strat and a Classic 50's Tele. The Strat was quite nice really, and if it wasn't for the fact that I hate Strats, I'd still have that one. The Tele, also really nice is more my speed. But I decided to build a Parts-o-caster, so that one is gone too. Both excellent though.

Classic Player guitars are different. They have flatter fretboards (I prefer vintage style 7.25"), and they have other modern mods. I personally prefer the more vintage feel of the Classic series.

13. WorkinSteamin

WorkinSteamin Member

That's a smokin' deal!! I have a Classic 50s in 2TSB. The ultimate color combo. Plays and sounds great. Love the vintage 7.25" radius neck.

14. StanG

StanG Member

I would recommend calling the ebay & online sellers and ask them to weigh the guitar. These vary from light to heavy, with, for me anyways, the lighter ones being much more lively. I recently got a classic 60's Tele this way & a classic & a 60's strat from the back room at best buy. The best buy guitar wad almost a lb lighter than the one on the wall.

15. StanG

StanG Member

Biggwebb, is that the cl deal from liberty?

16. efnikbug

efnikbug Member

I don't know the ins-n-outs of all the names of the different Fender Strats, but I believe I have a 50s Classic if it's a MIM Strat with the yellow sticky neck, singly ply PG, and what I believe is Sonic Blue. I prefer this Strat over what I think is an '84 U.S. made '57 Reissue I also own. But I don't think it's so much that the 50s Classic is THAT great but rather the 57 Reissue is THAT bad. But being aware of the value of the 57RI, I won't get rid of it.

17. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

I don't think the MIM Classic 50's came in Sonic Blue, so it's probably Daphne Blue. I just traded one for a nice Tele. The strat was OK (a little on the heavy side), but that Tele is magic. Everyone that has played it (me and 3 other guitarists + Ms Vee) loves it. I'm glad the Classic 50's Strat was such good trade bait...got a real nice case thrown in too.
    ;)

18. sliberty

sliberty Member

My Classaic 60's Strat was Lake Placid Blue.

19. efnikbug

efnikbug Member

20. tjmicsak

tjmicsak Member

There is a Classic series, and a Classic Player series. Don't get them confused.
    The Classic has the 7-1/4 radius, but the Classic Player is a 9-1/2 soft V neck and some custom shop ideas like the tone pot on the bridge pickup and a reverse wind reverse wind middle pickup. In addition the 4th setting is bridge and neck, not middle and neck, but there is a ghost position between 4 & 3 that will give you the usual neck and middle.
    I preferred to have the normal 4 position and just added a pull pot on the tone for the neck pickup for the neck and bridge setting.
    Be careful, it seems alot of folks are confusing the two models.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011