1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Opinions on the Fender SRV Strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Phydeaux, May 16, 2011.

1. Phydeaux

Phydeaux Member

What's the general consensus on these? I've got a chance to pick one up on a trade. Who's got one, and what are your thoughts on it? Yay or nay?

2. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

I generally don't care for Strats with a 12" fretboard radius but the SRV's I've owned never bothered me in that respect. For me, the hardest thing to get used to was the lefty trem...I tend to rest my hand on a guitars bridge a lot and the trem arm kinda got in my way, especially when palm muting. No complaints about the tone, but the Texas Specials were tonally sensitive to their height adjustment and could sound harsh if not set right.

3. Defendant

Defendant Member

Owned one briefly. Loved the big neck with flatter radius and big frets, and really liked the lefty trem.

Did not like the texas specials or what the pau ferro board did to the tone. Sort of like ebony but thinner and brighter.

My one's body was on the heavy side, so I think that made it a bit harsher sounding overall as well.

But I've played ones with lighter bodies and that pau ferro brightness was still there.

4. d.rhoads

d.rhoads Member

I played it, and I really don't care for it. Maybe it would sound good if you put some better, handwound pickups in there -- Don Mare, Ron Ellis, etc.

5. shane8

shane8 Member

i think the lefty trem is silly and fender make other planks w/ texas specials or 12" boards that cost less

6. Phydeaux

Phydeaux Member

What intrigues me most is the chunky neck profile. If the neck thickness is on a par with the PRS wide/fat, I may go for it. Haven't played it yet though, so we'll see.

7. Tone-Control

Tone-Control Supporting Member

I bought a '98. Don't use the trem much so it's decked and doesn't bother me. Love the big neck, frets, radius and pickups. Changed the pickguard to tortoise. It's my favorite guitar.

8. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Love mine. I posted a thread about mine a few weeks ago.

9. Bro.Twang

Bro.Twang Member

Its ok. Don't like the neck at all. But it sounds like a strat with Texas specials. To be honest I like the Jimmie Vaughan strat better.

10. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Member

Be sure to immediate lose the pickguard!!! Besides the obvious, a black p.g. is aesthetically so entirely wrong on a strt.

11. russiancrowe

russiancrowe Member

I love mine. My favorite part is the lefty bar, it just feels more natural to me. I've been thinking of modding my other strats to have this. I also changed the pickguard, don't need someone elses initials on my guitar. It seems I'm the only one here who likes the stock pickups.
    [​IMG]

12. Marshall Man

Marshall Man Member

I guess I'm odd man out, mine has a SD Hot Rail in the bridge and combined with the large neck and frets it just kills.

13. ILikeGuitar

ILikeGuitar Member

One of my favorite strats. Flat radius, tall frets and chunky profile but not too big. I'm not a fan of Texas Specials but you can always replace them. The one thing that bugs me is that my SRV makes every pickup set, darker, less sparkly and less stratty... which doesn't really make sense since the Pau Ferro should make it brighter.

14. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

Love 'em to the max! I'd like to have one, one of the best production Strats ever. Big neck, flat radius, big frets -- pretty rad. The only thing I don't like about 'em is the finish, but that's a personal taste thing.

15. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

16. jtindle

jtindle Member

The TS were ok then I got a set of EJ pups and put in it and I love it now. It's an early '91. I do need to change the pickguard though.

[​IMG]

17. Pantone 333

Pantone 333 Member

Beautiful guitar, but that neck is way too chunky for me. I also don't like 12" radius.

18. zumaboy

zumaboy Member

It's a very similar neck to the PRS wide/fat - you'll like it

19. mslugano

mslugano Supporting Member

I don't like the initialed pickguard either but OH, MAN! Change the pickguard back!...to ANYTHING else! Really sorry, but, that is hideous!

20. Rumblur

Rumblur Member

The SRV is one of the better factory Fender guitars... it gives you a good combination of vintage and modern ideas.

as for the TS pickups - they vary wildly evidently. I like mine, it's very warm and thick. I hate mids, I dont hear the mid hump so many bitch about.. but also I run mine very very low in the pickguard, which is where a Strat sounds best anyway.

The Lefty trem is good for some, bad for others....

The pickguard sucks, but not as bad as a white one like most stock Strats.

One thing I hate about the SRV - color. 3TSB is the ugliest color... and you cant get it in any other color.

The SRV's are best the older they are. Not sure how you can claim your guitar is an "early 91" when they didnt even debut till early 92. LOTS of confusion out there about dating these things because people want to go by the serial numbers... they never match the year because Fender had a ton of old serial stickers to go through so a '92 SRV can be serialed as a '89 or something stupid like that. Neck and body stamps are the only way to truly date them. (besides the receipt from when it was first purchased)