Opinions on the Gibson 50th Anniversary Robby Krieger SG?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by TwoToneGreen, Jan 22, 2012.

1. TwoToneGreen

TwoToneGreen Member

I reckon they're pretty awesome, so much so that I just picked one up. I tried one out locally over the summer and loved it - the only thing I didn't particularly care for was the 50th Anniversary decal on the headstock. That and the price, which was running at around €1650. Anyway, despite really wanting it, I moved on and thought it would be very unlikely for me to ever own one.

Then yesterday I checked the shop's website, while looking at the price of something else entirely and noticed that the Krieger SG was still there and now on sale with a 40% discount. The price was €1040, a mere €40 over a new SG Standard.

It was a totally unplanned purchase but for that price I can make the stretch. It one of those stories that you see on forums like this almost every day but I really am quite pleased so I thought I'd share.

The specs are pretty sweet: '57 Classics, Maestro Vibrola with Lyre-style tailpiece, Grover Green Keys, phase switch, Robbie Krieger inspired artwork on the control plate and PLEKed, with free delivery.

Waiting will be the hardest part though, as the guitar is in Ireland and I'm working in Spain this year. It'll be March by the time I get my hands on it again. That's what I get for being greedy, guys.

In the absence of real pics I offer you the Music Zoo's page - they always have good photos. Sorry to disappoint.

http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/...y-Krieger-SG-Electric-Guitar-Heritage-Cherry/

2. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    I'm very interested in these too.
    Will look forward to your review when it arrives :)

3. TwoToneGreen

TwoToneGreen Member

If you don't mind waiting a while I'll definitely share my feeling on the guitar once I've spent a little more time with it!

4. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    No wurries mate - we'll have a few Guiness' while we wait :)

5. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

I was lucky to pickup a VOS Custom shop R.Keiger for a great price,not cheap but better then some places,and played it at a gig Sunday and it just sounded as good as my 68 SG I use to own,they nailed the tone,It is set up perfect and stayed in tune with hard bends and even when using the Vibrola bar.The neck on my VOS is much fatter then the 50th Anniversary model,I was going to pull the trigger on the 50th but didn't care for the skinnier neck.
    You will like the guitar.:agree