• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Opinions on the Moog MF Drive?

Trotter

I did a search and found a few scattered reviews... anyone currently rocking this pedal and care to share your thoughts/likes/dislikes?

In the online videos, I kinda hear a raspy decay in the high-end... can this pedal pull off a smooth overdrive?

GreenKnight18

It sounded really nice in the basement (which caused me to write a glowing TGP review) but when I brought it to band practice the pedal sounded a bit, as you noticed on youtube, raspy. Right now I would say that it can't do a smoother OD too well but I'm still tinkering. :)

Trotter

It sounded really nice in the basement (which caused me to write a glowing TGP review) but when I brought it to band practice the pedal sounded a bit, as you noticed on youtube, raspy. Right now I would say that it can't do a smoother OD too well but I'm still tinkering. :)
Thanks for the feedback!

Any other reviews?

spiritofeden

It can be savage in a Fuzz way if you push it...it is very different from any other OD I have or have tried...I am impressed even if I do not youe si for everything...

steam-powered

I can dial in everything from creamy fuzz tones to raspier rangemaster tones. I've had mine for several weeks now and remain quite impressed. Sounds particularly nice stacked into the MF Boost. Recording my first demo with the MF Drive soon, about a week or two. I'll post a link once it's up and running.

BobFostec

I got this pedal after seeing the Troy vid. After a few weeks I can say this:
It's a very interesting pedal, so many options for some very fuzzy overdrive sounds. It's not really made for a classic rock sound though it can get quite close. For me it's no doubt best suited with the expression pedal for some fuzz-wah-esque / stoner sounds but not for a standard OD pedal use.
Needs a lot of tinkering to get the sounds you want, I think it's maybe a cool studio pedal if you're patience allows it but not a live pedal if you need it for more than one sound as it is very touch sensitive.
So cool pedal but not sure if I'll keep it in my ever lasting quest for the Holy Grail of OD tone
:bkw

steam-powered

Needs a lot of tinkering to get the sounds you want, I think it's maybe a cool studio pedal if you're patience allows it but not a live pedal if you need it for more than one sound as it is very touch sensitive.
I'd agree that it takes more time dialing in for specific sounds. I'm currently set up for smoother tones, using my PRS into a Rivera Venus 3 1x12 (with blackface pot engaged) as such:
Gain 3:00 Drive up, Peak down
Output 11:00
Tone 8:00
Filter 12:30

The tone and filter dials are VERY interactive. This is the only overdrive I've ever owned in which the tone knob has useful settings at min, noon, max, and everywhere in-between, contingent upon where the filter is set. Another setting (the last one on the PGS Andy demo, with tone and filter at 3:00) is a great "classic rock" tone with humbuckers. All of the example settings in the manual are useful.

Even though I really like this pedal, it's certainly not for everybody. There was a time, not long ago, when I shied away from any pedal with more than three dials. I didn't want to struggle finding a good tone and spend time tinkering. This was a game changer for me. Yes, can take several minutes to dial in what I'm wanting, and since the tone and filter are so interactive, very small increments can have substantial impact on tone, hence it takes more time than other pedals.

Being so thrilled with the Moog MF Drive, I've hence purchased the rest of the minifooger line (except the delay which won't be available for another month or two, although I've got a spot ready on my board)

rbrogan

So I got my MF Drive and I've been messing around with it all week. In the back of my head, waiting for it last weekend, I kept thinking, "is this thing really going to add something all that different from what I can get with my FD2?". Boy does it, here's my initial impressions of it:

Steam-powered, you are spot on with your descriptions. The MF Drive can have a massive low end, but because of the way the filter, tone, and peak switch work, you can still dial in your top end pretty bright. If you're looking for really traditional, classic rock sounds, the range these three controls have might put you off of the pedal at first. Finding those sweet spots definitely takes sometime playing with the range of everything. The quick start guide gives you 4 settings that are actually a great place to start to give you an idea of how everything works.

The pedal really is crazy dynamic. That's a term that get's thrown around so much concerning drive pedals, that it really starts to mean nothing. But with the MF Drive, you could have the drive at about 2 o'clock, and be chugging out big, crunch power chords and playing almost clean single lines and arpeggios with out changing any settings, or lowering your guitar volume. Start really digging in and the single lines will break up more. Depending on where your tone and filter is, it seems like certain parts of the spectrum will break up more than others. Now, a little grain of salt here, I haven't had a chance to really crank my amp (live in a tiny condo, my band rents space to do full volume practices). But to me, if a pedal can accomplish that kind of dynamic with a really low volume amp, it should translate very well to loud volumes. The biggest thing I'll be looking for when I can finally crank the amp, is how the character of the of the break up works along with pushing the amp.

The MF Drive definitely can fall in the raspy territory. With the drive switch down (in lower gain mode), the break up can be what some people would call "nasty". It's really open, and kind of reminds me of pushing the front end of a small amp. Dime the gain knob and you start getting into fuzz territory, and with the drive switch up in high gain mode, and the gain dimed, you almost get into synth fuzz tones. I bought this because I wanted something that could achieve both heavier, garage rock tones, along with something that could have a more open breakup than the Fulldrive, and it gets me there and then some. Because of the way you can do all kinds of tone shaping with this pedal, I'm running the fulldrive into it, and will probably use it as a dirty EQ as much as a straight up drive pedal when I want more bottom end. Obviously, I need to give it a few gigs, and some loud practices before I really pass judgement on it. I think this is the kind of pedal where the designers intentionally allowed for a huge range of sounds, good and bad. If you're looking for a plug and play, "it took me 5 minutes to dial in the tone in my head" type of pedal, this is probably not it.

Just for reference, I am playing a G&L USA Legacy, and the signal chain is > Korg Pitchblack Tuner > Fulldrive Fulltone II Mosfet > Line 6 M13 run 5cm (yes... 5 not 4) > Gibson GA30RVS. The 5 cable method is really just the 4 cable method with the addition of stereo output to my amps loop. My drive pedals go into the M13 input, M13 Effects Send to Amp input, Amp effects loop send into M13 effects return, and then finally left and right M13 output into Amp effects loop left and right return. This lets me set which effects go into the front of the amp, and which effects go, stereo, into the effects loop. The GA30RVS is a class A, 30 watt stereo tube amp. Mono preamp with 4 12ax7's, and then two independent 15 watt EL-84 power sections each driving their own Celestion V30 all housed together in an obscenely-heavy-for-it's-size 2x12 combo.

steam-powered

If you're looking for really traditional, classic rock sounds, the range these three controls have might put you off of the pedal at first. Finding those sweet spots definitely takes sometime playing with the range of everything. The quick start guide gives you 4 settings that are actually a great place to start to give you an idea of how everything works.

Now, a little grain of salt here, I haven't had a chance to really crank my amp (live in a tiny condo, my band rents space to do full volume practices). But to me, if a pedal can accomplish that kind of dynamic with a really low volume amp, it should translate very well to loud volumes. The biggest thing I'll be looking for when I can finally crank the amp, is how the character of the of the break up works along with pushing the amp.

I think this is the kind of pedal where the designers intentionally allowed for a huge range of sounds, good and bad. If you're looking for a plug and play, "it took me 5 minutes to dial in the tone in my head" type of pedal, this is probably not it.
Great description. Usually, I fall into the "too many knobs take too much time, keep looking" crowd. A year ago I would not have given the MF Drive a second glance. Once I spent time and fully understood how incredibly interactive the tone and filter knobs work, it was a piece of cake. Somewhere online a review described the MF Drive as raspy which left me thinking the person only tried the manuals "classic rock" setting, cause I can get everything from creamy, smooth, saturated, as well as raspy, treble-booster-like tones from it.

Rbrogan: If you like the MF Drive at practice/home volumes, you will LOVE it at stage volumes. I recorded a few tracks with my amp cranked pretty loud in my "isolation closet" and was incredibly pleased with the results. Some pedals only sound great at loud volumes, others work ok at lower volumes, and the MF Drive excels at both.

The filter on the PDF-1 is unbelievably awesome but obviously it lacks expression pedal control.
I thought it was supposed to have an exp in on the side? I only say that cos Burgs uses it in this PDF-1 demo: Maybe it was an optional extra or a later version or something... either way it's a bummer yours doesn't have one.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom