Opinions on the most usable mini switch mod on 2 Humbuckers

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by StJimmy, Feb 10, 2008.

1. StJimmy

StJimmy Member

I've never messed much with mini switches to alter tone circuits, but want to install a mini on a regular 2 humbucker 2 vol, 2 tone 3 way switch harness going into an aluminum guitar.

For those that have messed with mini switches, what is the most usable mod....pups in series, single coil tap, pups out of phase, etc?

Any thoughts?

2. brad347

brad347 Member

How about one that bypasses all controls and connects the pickups straight to the output jack (after the pickup selector)?

3. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

Coil cut or parallel for just the pickup itself depending on whether you like 60 cycle hum or not. I don't think any methods are worth drilling a hole for but with a push-pull there's no harm done. I just remember all the guitars I did in the 70's and 80's for people trying to make one guitar sound like another, it never really does. Personally with your setup I would use a push-pull in place of one tone control to do a coil cut on both pickups.

4. StJimmy

StJimmy Member

Good ideas.

The mini toggle is historically accurate on this particular guitar build, so there's no cosmetic harm done. If it was a Les Paul, I'd definitely do the push-pull.

Cutting everything out of the circuit sounds interesting. I know theres a few pros who wire that way on their live performance guitars so they've just got straight signal. This will be more of a recording guitar, so that's why I was wanting something with a different timbre.

5. brad347

brad347 Member

that actually will give you a different timbre. The main reason it's done is to take away the loading of the volume/tone controls even at full up. They are never truly "out" of the circuit and always load somewhat.

With the pickup going straight to the jack, the resulting tone is a bit louder and quite a bit brighter. That's the main reason people do it, sort of as an "extra gear" after the other controls are already dimed.

6. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

true, but if you're using 500k pots on humbuckers, the difference will be pretty slight when the pots are bypassed, and probably annoying if you do hear a difference.

you'll get a much more dramatic difference from either a master coil-split that turns both buckers into single coils, or a phase-reverse that flips the polarity of one pickup, which then allows a whole new range of tones by turning on both pickups and then slightly varying the volume of one of them.

7. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

This sounds good. Or another would be to series/parallel the rhythm pickup.

8. DualRectifier

DualRectifier Silver Supporting Member

The guitar body is aluminum? What kind of guitar is this?

If you're doing one mini switch to affect both humbuckers, I would go series-parallel. More usable than a single coil tap. What are the pickups?

9. StJimmy

StJimmy Member

I'm having it built. Two aluminum body halves, hollow in the middle.

The pickups I'm going to start out with are WCR Fillmores I've got lying around. Given I don't know exactly how the guitar will sound, the pickup part of the equation will be somewhat open ended. I'm shortening the scale also from the normal 25.5 that most aluminum guitars seem to have in favor of a 25" like a Gibson Johnny Smith (or PRS). I'm hoping it won't sound tinny or stratty.