Opinions on the newer KT66 tubes

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by kctx2, Nov 20, 2005.

1. kctx2

kctx2 Member

Which are the best sounding (sound most like the original Brit type) recent production KT66 tubes.
    These would be for a JTM45. The original tubes are the best, but the cost is waaaaay to much to stock spares.

Thankyou,
    Keith

2. doctord02

doctord02 Member

I like the Valve Arts (Chinese - Shugang) KT-66's just fine. I have some of the GT - Reflector's as well, but have heard of some reliability issues - I've personally not tested them...

3. JacksonAmpworks

JacksonAmpworks Member

I dig the Valve Arts and they are what I use in the Union Jack. They have worked well for me thus far and produce great tone while doing it.

Here's are some pics of the KT66's in action.

http://www.jacksonampworks.com/unionjack.php

4. trdlasvegas

trdlasvegas Member

Brad,
    Sorry to hijack this thread, but that has to be the best built amp I have ever seen bar none. Your attention to details is incredable. Certainly worth the money your asking.
    -Tony

5. Pentode

Pentode Supporting Member

I like the Valve Arts KT66 as well. I've tried the GTKT66HP, they are OK, but I don't like them as much as the VA.

6. The Rocket

The Rocket Member

Anybody tried the KT66 Tung Sol Reissue?

7. Driver

Driver Member

i'm also curious about the tung-sol re-issue.

8. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

I recently switched from GT's to the Tung Sols. I prefer the Tung Sols. Bigger low end and smoother top end. The GT's sounded harsh and grainier in comparison. Some people have speculated that the Tung Sols are just relabeled Sovtek KT66's(6l6 in coke bottle), but to my ears, the Tung Sols have the same general tonal charecteristics as the GT, just fatter and smoother. I would like to try the Valve Arts, but would need to have a tech install the proper screen grid resistors, not to mention I'm dead broke...

9. Matt H

Matt H Guest

warning: I have no experience iwth vintage KT66's, or the russians...

i've been extremely happy with the chinese (shuguang/valve arts) kt66's- I got a pair on the recommendation of paul ruby- a man known for experience with jtm45's

10. Scott_F

Scott_F Member

I've been using the GT's in my Edana 45 line (pretty much a JTM45 clone) with great success. Everyone that owns one has been quite happy with the tubes. I also run JJ 12AX7's in V2 and V3, but prefer the chinese 12AX7 in V1.