Opinions on the PRS CE-22?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by papersoul, May 11, 2005.

1. papersoul

papersoul Supporting Member

Hello,

I was close to getting a used Peavey Wolfgang/hardtail to add to the collection....but....

I decided to go with a PRS trem guitar to round out my collection for the time being. I have an LP Standard and PRS McCarty and feel it would be nice to have a CE-22 rather than a Custom 22 trem. However, you rarely see CE-22s on ebay or anywhere. Are they that rare? Not very popular?

I realize they make the current model out of mahogany, while the older model was alder. Is this a significant change? I haven't owned an alder body guitar.

Thanks guys!

2. lookslikemeband

lookslikemeband Member

My 2nd PRS is a CE-22. Personally it has climbed up to my #1 recording guitar, and top 3 for gigs.

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!

I think the 5-way rotary switch is one of the coolest features (I can get very "Paul-ish" sounds as well as very "Stratty")

For supposedly being the "cheaper" ogf the PRS guit-fiddles, I think it's the best deal in professional guitars!!

Mine is alder (I believe), and sounds really warm and rich. It can get downright snarly and nasty , but it can clean up soooo nice.

The volume switch is a true taper, for quick response, and quiet as can be.

Sorry for the gushing!!! ;)

Lance

ant_riv likes this.
  3. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

The CE22 isn't particularly rare but dealers don't seem to stock 'em the way they stock some other models--though my local GCs seem to have one or two around.

I have both alder and mahogany CEs and find the alder instruments to have more of a stratty vibe. That's no knock on the mahogany ones. Asking which one is better is like asking whether a LP is better than a Strat. They're just different. Which one I pick up depends on what kind of tone I'm looking for at the moment.

ant_riv likes this.
  4. loudboy

loudboy Supporting Member

I have a CE-24 (alder/maple) and it's about my #1 for gigging. I changed it over to McCarty switching and swapped PUs to an Antiquity neck and JB bridge and it's a rock machine. <g>

The CE's are a lot more forward than the Customs, which are very compressed sounding. More attack and snarl. The CE-22s are a little more so.

I've had 4 PRS over the years (2 CU-24s, an EG-3 and the CE) and the CE is the only one left.

Loudboy

5. A440

A440 Supporting Member

I don't think I'll ever sell my CE22 goldtop (mahog w/maple top), although I am toying with changing out the stock pickups.

Very versatile guitar. I finally gave it some long overdue love - cleaned the fingerboard, oiled it, and threw on some SOB Rock Formulas. plays better than ever !

a lot of gunk had accumulated since 1998 :rolleyes:

6. Unburst

Unburst Member

I had a 2000 mahogany one that was a fine guitar except I hated the PRS locking tuners (Schallers with a PRS locking mechanism) and it had a major deadspot around the 12th fret G string. so it had to go.

A friend of mine has an older Alder model CE24 that is one of the best sounding guitars I've ever played.

7. MCG

MCG Member

I would think a CE22 trem would complment you Les Paul and McCarty wounderfully.

I had a CE24 for a while and it was a great guitar. Mine was a mahogany/maple top. It had a sort of "super-strat" vibe to me. The sound was full, but cutting with a good spank. CE's are great guitars for high gain tones.

MCG

8. david eaton

david eaton Member

I've got a 1999 CE-22 stop-tail. I really like that guitar. I also have an 89 alder CE-24 (no maple top). I agree that they are two very different guitars from each other. The 22 is my #2 guitar after the HBI. I really enjoy playing the guitar. (Oddly, the alder 24 is the guitar that I play when I track a solo I want to keep...)

9. Greggy

Greggy Member

As mentioned above, check for dead spots on the G-string around the 12-15th frets. I sold my 2000 CE22 and bought 3 Agiles and am not looking back. The Dragon II pups didn't sit well with me. But the build quality is outstanding. Maybe a pup change would have changed my mind.:confused:

10. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

It's hard to go wrong with a PRS. The CE series gives you PRS quality and playability for a good price. Play it stock for a while before making changes; you may find you like the Dragon 2 pickups (I've been playing gigs with them for 7 years and think they sound great).

ant_riv likes this.
  11. papersoul

I feel like I have a great LP and great McCarty - I love em.

I hear some say the set neck models are better than the bolt-on PRS guitars, but that is debatable.

Now, I saw a used and abused '96 Standard(all mahogany) at a local guitar center but they want $1299. I was thinking of offering them under $1000. Right now I can't afford much more than that and you rarely see CE-22s on ebay! So, this Standard plays and sounds nice........but I was thinking the maple neck and trem may be a different flavor.

Heck, even the Cu22 trem would be a different flavor.

What about the all mahogany CE 22s???

I also looked at a few used Peavey Wolfgangs....but the fretboard is a 15" radius. Nice guitars though, although bright.

I think about a second LP, but I love mine.

12. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I had lots of PRS guitars. One of my favorite over the longest time was my CE-22. Just a killer guitar.

13. mprvise

mprvise Member

I'm glad someone posted this up. I'm currently looking seriously at a CE22. The one I'm looking at is new, great top, purple finish, trem, 3-way switch with push/pull tone. The store wants about 1800.00 for it. Plays great! Just needs some minor set up work. Is that a decent price for a new CE22?

I'm torn between the CE22, or holding out for something like an Anderson or Suhr. Advice?

14. papersoul

As much as I like PRS, I think I am more a Gibson guy. I stopped in the store and ended up loving the LPs the most. I fell for an LP Classic.

15. Mike Dresch

Mike Dresch Silver Supporting Member

That seems really steep for a CE. You can get a non 10 McCarty for around $1800. You should be able to get a CE in the 1300 to 1400 range I would think.

16. A440

A440 Supporting Member

IMO, CE22 and a LP are WAY different animals. Actually, i think any PRS is way diff than a LP.

17. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Silver Supporting Member

Washington Music in Maryland had new ones cheaper than that used one - I'd look around before dropping that much cash.

I've been toying with the idea of picking up a CE22 as well. I just wish they would allow you get birds or moons. But still, a very cool guitar!

Mike

18. yanquii

yanquii Member

I love the CE PRS models. They are very versatile guitars, but like mentioned above, I don't think anything PRS offers hits close to an LP. The closest is the McCarty Standard, to my ears. One thing I hate about maple topped PRS guitars, is that, to my ears, they all have this mid hump that I cannot stand, and it is something that I have never heard any LP have.

I think the CE guitars are more strat like than LP like, but they have some growl.

19. amstaf

amstaf Guest

I have a ce 22. I'd go with that, but the wolfie's aren't made. I had one, sold it, now I have 3 prsi.

20. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

Have to agree $1800 for a CE is steep. Used Custom 10 tops with birds are going for that.