1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Opinions on the PRS CE-22?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by papersoul, May 11, 2005.

1. papersoul

papersoul Member

Hello,

I was close to getting a used Peavey Wolfgang/hardtail to add to the collection....but....

I decided to go with a PRS trem guitar to round out my collection for the time being. I have an LP Standard and PRS McCarty and feel it would be nice to have a CE-22 rather than a Custom 22 trem. However, you rarely see CE-22s on ebay or anywhere. Are they that rare? Not very popular?

I realize they make the current model out of mahogany, while the older model was alder. Is this a significant change? I haven't owned an alder body guitar.

Thanks guys!

2. lookslikemeband

lookslikemeband Member

My 2nd PRS is a CE-22. Personally it has climbed up to my #1 recording guitar, and top 3 for gigs.

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!

I think the 5-way rotary switch is one of the coolest features (I can get very "Paul-ish" sounds as well as very "Stratty")

For supposedly being the "cheaper" ogf the PRS guit-fiddles, I think it's the best deal in professional guitars!!

Mine is alder (I believe), and sounds really warm and rich. It can get downright snarly and nasty , but it can clean up soooo nice.

The volume switch is a true taper, for quick response, and quiet as can be.

Sorry for the gushing!!! ;)

Lance

ant_riv likes this.
  3. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

The CE22 isn't particularly rare but dealers don't seem to stock 'em the way they stock some other models--though my local GCs seem to have one or two around.

I have both alder and mahogany CEs and find the alder instruments to have more of a stratty vibe. That's no knock on the mahogany ones. Asking which one is better is like asking whether a LP is better than a Strat. They're just different. Which one I pick up depends on what kind of tone I'm looking for at the moment.

ant_riv likes this.
  4. loudboy

loudboy Member

I have a CE-24 (alder/maple) and it's about my #1 for gigging. I changed it over to McCarty switching and swapped PUs to an Antiquity neck and JB bridge and it's a rock machine. <g>

The CE's are a lot more forward than the Customs, which are very compressed sounding. More attack and snarl. The CE-22s are a little more so.

I've had 4 PRS over the years (2 CU-24s, an EG-3 and the CE) and the CE is the only one left.

Loudboy

5. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

I don't think I'll ever sell my CE22 goldtop (mahog w/maple top), although I am toying with changing out the stock pickups.

Very versatile guitar. I finally gave it some long overdue love - cleaned the fingerboard, oiled it, and threw on some SOB Rock Formulas. plays better than ever !

a lot of gunk had accumulated since 1998 :rolleyes:

6. Unburst

Unburst Member

I had a 2000 mahogany one that was a fine guitar except I hated the PRS locking tuners (Schallers with a PRS locking mechanism) and it had a major deadspot around the 12th fret G string. so it had to go.

A friend of mine has an older Alder model CE24 that is one of the best sounding guitars I've ever played.

7. MCG

MCG Member

I would think a CE22 trem would complment you Les Paul and McCarty wounderfully.

I had a CE24 for a while and it was a great guitar. Mine was a mahogany/maple top. It had a sort of "super-strat" vibe to me. The sound was full, but cutting with a good spank. CE's are great guitars for high gain tones.

MCG

8. david eaton

david eaton Member

I've got a 1999 CE-22 stop-tail. I really like that guitar. I also have an 89 alder CE-24 (no maple top). I agree that they are two very different guitars from each other. The 22 is my #2 guitar after the HBI. I really enjoy playing the guitar. (Oddly, the alder 24 is the guitar that I play when I track a solo I want to keep...)

9. Greggy

Greggy Member

The Antipodes To All That is Sacred and Pure
    As mentioned above, check for dead spots on the G-string around the 12-15th frets. I sold my 2000 CE22 and bought 3 Agiles and am not looking back. The Dragon II pups didn't sit well with me. But the build quality is outstanding. Maybe a pup change would have changed my mind.:confused:

10. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

It's hard to go wrong with a PRS. The CE series gives you PRS quality and playability for a good price. Play it stock for a while before making changes; you may find you like the Dragon 2 pickups (I've been playing gigs with them for 7 years and think they sound great).

ant_riv likes this.
  11. papersoul

papersoul Member

I feel like I have a great LP and great McCarty - I love em.

I hear some say the set neck models are better than the bolt-on PRS guitars, but that is debatable.

Now, I saw a used and abused '96 Standard(all mahogany) at a local guitar center but they want $1299. I was thinking of offering them under $1000. Right now I can't afford much more than that and you rarely see CE-22s on ebay! So, this Standard plays and sounds nice........but I was thinking the maple neck and trem may be a different flavor.

Heck, even the Cu22 trem would be a different flavor.

What about the all mahogany CE 22s???

I also looked at a few used Peavey Wolfgangs....but the fretboard is a 15" radius. Nice guitars though, although bright.

I think about a second LP, but I love mine.

12. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Administrator Staff Member

I had lots of PRS guitars. One of my favorite over the longest time was my CE-22. Just a killer guitar.

13. mprvise

mprvise Member

I'm glad someone posted this up. I'm currently looking seriously at a CE22. The one I'm looking at is new, great top, purple finish, trem, 3-way switch with push/pull tone. The store wants about 1800.00 for it. Plays great! Just needs some minor set up work. Is that a decent price for a new CE22?

I'm torn between the CE22, or holding out for something like an Anderson or Suhr. Advice?

14. papersoul

papersoul Member

As much as I like PRS, I think I am more a Gibson guy. I stopped in the store and ended up loving the LPs the most. I fell for an LP Classic.

15. Mike Dresch

Mike Dresch Silver Supporting Member

That seems really steep for a CE. You can get a non 10 McCarty for around $1800. You should be able to get a CE in the 1300 to 1400 range I would think.

16. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

IMO, CE22 and a LP are WAY different animals. Actually, i think any PRS is way diff than a LP.

17. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Washington Music in Maryland had new ones cheaper than that used one - I'd look around before dropping that much cash.

I've been toying with the idea of picking up a CE22 as well. I just wish they would allow you get birds or moons. But still, a very cool guitar!

Mike

18. yanquii

yanquii Member

I love the CE PRS models. They are very versatile guitars, but like mentioned above, I don't think anything PRS offers hits close to an LP. The closest is the McCarty Standard, to my ears. One thing I hate about maple topped PRS guitars, is that, to my ears, they all have this mid hump that I cannot stand, and it is something that I have never heard any LP have.

I think the CE guitars are more strat like than LP like, but they have some growl.

19. amstaf

amstaf Guest

I have a ce 22. I'd go with that, but the wolfie's aren't made. I had one, sold it, now I have 3 prsi.

20. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

Have to agree $1800 for a CE is steep. Used Custom 10 tops with birds are going for that.