Opinions on the Real Nice Preamp.

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by wooldl, Aug 17, 2006.

1. wooldl

wooldl Member

Hello,
    I'm wanting to buy a new preamp for recording bass, acoustic, vocals, etc. in my little basement studio. I can't afford the high end gear but I don't want crap either. It seems that dollar for dollar the RNP is a great buy. As is the RNC for that matter.

Do any of you use this preamp or having any experience with it? What are your thoughts on it or other dual-preamps for around $300.

Thanks.
    Dale

2. Sub-D

Sub-D Guest

My opinion on mic pre's is that between the low end price
    and the higher end (say starting at about a grand) there really isn't
    that much that makes the middle ground worth spending on.
    To my ears they don't do much more then the low end.
    That said I have not used the RNP and have read a review
    about it having lots of "iron" for the dollar etc...
    so maybe it is the missing link (so to speak) maybe try renting one?
    Post on gearslutz too, if you have not yet........
    best of luck

3. Grun

Grun Member

I don't have the RNP but you have apparantly done your homework. It has a great rep. If I were to buy in that price range that would be my #1 choice (based soley on reputation). I anted up for a Great River ME1NV when it was my turn. I love that pre-amp. I still got the RNC to go with it though. The RNC will do what you tell it to, so you have to be careful what you tell it to do. Good luck!

4. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

FMR RNP...
    really nice preamp.
    no, really....
    it's a really nice preamp. not suitable for ribbons, but one of the sub $1000.00 mic pres that aren't embarrassed by high end mic pres. most of the prosumer stuff is a waste of time for achieving 'professional' results.

5. Budokahn

Budokahn Member

I own 4 RNPs and and 4 RNCs, They are great, To give reference I also own UAudio pres and compressors as well as Summit and Vintech and I find plenty of use for the FMR stuff as well. They do not color the sound and have a lot of gain Mark at FMR is also a really great guy to deal with who really stands by his stuff.
    Good Luck

6. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

I had the RNP and the RNC for around a week, and it just wasn't doing it for me. Its not that its bad sounding, but there just isn't any personality, or color to it I think. It does sound cool when you record bass direct, and some acoustic guitar, but that's all I got out of it. I got a U.A Solo 610 instead, and that thing smokes. My recordings are really earthy and warm sounding, but it can also add punch and clarity as well. Recording bass direct sounds amazing, acoustic guitars, and distored leads sound out of this world. I am working on a song now and it just has this Beach Boys kind of warmth to the vocals, and I found out later that they actually recorded Pet Sounds on a Puttman 610 console. Go figure :)