Opinions on the Tamamine G series

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Imiss85, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Imiss85

Imiss85 Member

I'm looking for opinions, but let me preface with what my needs are.

I'm mainly an electric guy. I record at home, and jam occasionally with friends. I have three destructive boys (kidding, but they are all BOY) 9,7, and 3, so expensive acoustics are out right now. I have a Takamine 12 string acoustic I've had for 20 years that I'm very happy with, but I'm looking for a 6 string. I want one that has Piezo in it, so I can record with my Toneport, as well as mic it at the same time. Most of my acoustic is in the background in my recordings, but loud enough to want a good sound.

I'm looking for a good sounding acoustic instrument that I'm not worried about getting dinged up, with electronics that will last. I'm looking at this

http://www.samash.com/catalog/showi...rase=&Contains=&Search_Type=SEARCH&GroupCode=

Thoughts and opinions on quality and sound? I'm in the middle of nowhere, so it's a two hour drive to go and check one out, so I'm trying to narrow the field a bit.

Thanks!

2. rich-96db

rich-96db Member

I had one briefly and didn't care for it - a little brittle sounding and the saddle needed a lot of sanding to get the action near reasonable.

For around the same money, you could get a Seagull S-6.

3. jeffcoop

jeffcoop Member

I had an EG530SC for about ten months a few years ago. I wound up selling it because I didn't care for the unplugged sound. It seemed disjointed somehow--when strummed, the sound never really integrated and rang out the way, say, my Guild D50 does. I know, different price point. But I think you can do better at the Tak's price, unless your principal concern is the electronics.

4. Imiss85

Imiss85 Member

When you say disjointed, do you mean not jangly?

5. Popdevil

Popdevil Member

I used to have the Takamine Gs330s and it was bright and sounded very nice. I exchanged it only because I wanted a wider neck and went with a seagull mini jumbo.

6. jeffcoop

jeffcoop Member

I know I'm not describing it well. When I strum my Guild, the whole is greater than the sum of the parts (the individual notes). It just sings. With the Tak, the whole was nothing more than the sum of the parts.

7. Imiss85

Imiss85 Member

Well, over the last three weeks, I've been shopping at just about every music shop I could find. I've played hundreds of Washburn's, Yamaha's, Ibanez's, Epiphones, Seagulls, and others, as well as Martins and Taylors (cheapo's and the mid grade ones between $1500-$2,000). While the Martins and Taylors are another league, obviously they are out of my price range right now. The cheapo Martins and Taylors, while sounding pretty good, felt real cheap.

Last week I found a Yamaha FGX720 that I really liked, but the store wouldn't haggle, and I thought it was too much.

Today I hit a few more shops up North. My middle son and I (7 years old, and VERY patient with his old man today) for about 4 hours played probably about 200 guitars. Out of those, I found Two guitars that really spoke to me. After A/B'ing them for about 30 minutes, I decided on a Takamine EG523SC Jumbo. Solid Spruce top, Flamed maple back and sides, Block MOP and Abalone inlays, EQ and Tuner built in. It just flat out sounds great acoustically, picked and finger picked.I haven't even plugged it in yet. I can't really explain it because I tried 4 or 5 of the exact same guitar, one was "ok", two were Dead, and one was a joke. This one was really a class of it's own. I got lucky. I never knew there was that big a difference in same model Acoustics. I knew there'd be winners, but never guessed the margin of quality could be that big. I think I scored well, Guitar, humidifier, couple of sets of strings, picks, trigger capo, and a TKL Hardshell case for under $650 out the door. Holy Crap, I'm stoked! Now, when I'm laid up for about a week after my knee surgery in two weeks, I have something to really occupy my time. I can't wait to hear how much better it is in 6 months.

Even though I'm thrilled with the one I've got, I wouldn't reccomend "ordering" one, since the odds are - from my experience- was 1/5 of getting a great one. But when you do find it, it's worth it.

8. texasdave

texasdave Member

I've found skipping over the G series is usually a good idea... esp when you can snag used solid top tak's with electronics in the $400-500 range... there was an EAN-10C on a while ago in the 450 range...

...barring that, most of the stuff in the 500 and under range is a crapshoot, as per the poster above... if i had to go sight unseen i'd lean to Seagull...if i can handle 'em the Alvarez are worth a play too... but again, if you're after a Tak, get a feel for their higher end model numbers and surf a bit... you might be surprised what you can snag...

9. Thames

Thames Member

I got a EG363SC for 500$ with case and I love it. The brass bridge pins improved the tone.