Opinions on the Vox AC15HTVH

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Boytbpc, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Boytbpc

Boytbpc Member

I've got a lead on a new Vox AC15HTVH for about $600. I'm really interested, but won't have an opportunity to try-before-I-buy. I know the 2010 HW series is getting rave reviews and that the Hertiage series had a weird handwired/PCB hybrid.

What's everybodies opinions on the Heritage AC15? I have two cabinets to run the head through a Celestion Blue and a Celestion G12H30.

Cheers,
    Matthew

2. jmczaja

jmczaja Member

Great sounding head!

3. Boytbpc

Boytbpc Member

Do you know of any problems with it? I do see a lot of people saying not to buy pre-2010 Vox amps. Does this include the Heritage?

4. Gretsch&Vox

Gretsch&Vox Member

It's a great amp. I had an AC15H1TV. Just make sure that you have a good/reliable, rectifier tube. And, some reliable power tubes like JJ EL84s.

5. Boytbpc

Boytbpc Member

If I get it, I'll definitely be picking up a NOS rectifier and EF-86, probably run reissue TungSols throughout the rest.

6. ken374

ken374 Member

7. Gretsch&Vox

Gretsch&Vox Member

I heard about this *deal on another thread here. $600? That is a great deal.

*Sam Ash in Florida (southern?)?

8. ken374

ken374 Member

you think thats good last year I met a guy at a local music store he brought his head and cab (ac15 htv) in he wanted 400! we chatted a bit and i decided I would go get the cash at the bank and meet him at this one restaurant. He wasnt from this side of town, I didnt get his phone number at the time any ways he didnt show up for some reason and prb though I was pulling his leg. next time i was at the store I was told that the guy came back the next day with the amp and sold it to the store, the owner put like a 900 dollar price tag on it! I was so pissed that i didnt get his number at the time but i ended up getting the ac15 hw1 for 950 2 weeks later lol

9. Boytbpc

Boytbpc Member

Just pulled the trigger.

10. Boytbpc

Boytbpc Member

That is correct.

11. distorted noise

distorted noise Member

i had one and it's a great amp. Just make sure to retube it and the amp just love's Celestion Blues.

12. Boytbpc

Boytbpc Member

Going to have to wait a month before I can retube it, but it will happen. I was planning NOS for the preamp and rectifier and the Tube Store Preferred Series EL-84 for the poweramp. I have heard that these Voxs are hard on power tubes. Any comments?

Now I need to wait the two weeks until it gets to my in Turkey. I love my APO Box, but jesus, it takes forever to get here.

13. jmczaja

jmczaja Member

Vox's eat EL84's fairly quickly but it really depends on frequently you play it. Back when i was using my AC15HTVH for band practices (roughly about 9 hours a week), I would replace my EL84's about every 4 - 5 months..

14. Boytbpc

Boytbpc Member

Holy crap! 200 hours on a set of tubes, that doesn't seem like much at all. I got 10x that in my Tiny Terror and Blues Junior.

Did you have tube failure?

15. ken374

ken374 Member

I got 10 months on mine and still going fine JJ dont crank it all the time though. Tubestore.com

16. Gretsch&Vox

Gretsch&Vox Member

Yes, they are very hard on power tubes but you will be rewarded with great tone. It's a hot, cathode/auto-biasing output circuit from what I've read. It generates a lot of heat (but not suitable for cooking eggs, bacon and the like). ;)

I am very curious to hear your experience with the Tube Store Preferred Series EL-84s. They look interesting although I may be getting the best tone and reliability from my trusty JJ EL84s.

17. Jon@Home

Jon@Home Member

had a set of jj's (4) in my ac100 for years. They didn't fail and still sounded good when I sold the amp. that was in an amp that got VERY hot. I could cook hot dogs over the vent.....

I played a ac15tv when they came out. I was in a music store and asked to play it in a isolated room. I turned it all the way up and played it hard. I was surprised how clean it stayed. I was thinking it would have a lot less headroom. Sounded good but not quite right for me, not dirty enough cranked...

18. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

I have an AC30H2 - NOS rectifier and Mullard EF86 which I got from Mike at KCA. The power tubes are JJ. The amp sounds FANTASTIC - I couldn't be happier with it.

19. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

love this series of vox amps...the heritage and hw line are the best ac30s in decades ymmv

20. Boytbpc

Boytbpc Member

It has arrived. It is awesome. It is LOUD for 15 watts.