1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Opinions on the Weber ceramic Cali 12"..?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by erksin, Sep 15, 2008.

1. erksin

erksin Member

Anybody use them?

I'm thinking of dropping one in my '65 Ampeg Reverberocket. I like the thought of increasing the volume and having a nice clear detailed low end.

2. johnzias

johnzias Member

Nice tone, but significantly weaker sounding than a JBL IMO.

3. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I use one (with a paper dust cap) in my '54 Deluxe. It does what you'd expect: tightens-up the low end considerably, adds volume, and lets all of the Tweedy grindage come through, loud and clear. I've had it in that amp for about 7 or 8 years now, and have been very happy with it.

4. doog

doog Member

Nice tone, but resulted in a significant drop in volume. *After* my purchase, I dug around on Weber's web site and found the following two plots: the first is the ceramic California with paper dome (what I had), while the second is the 12F150:

1. http://www.webervst.com/spkrcalc/c12cap.htm
    2. http://www.webervst.com/spkrcalc/c12n.htm

For what it's worth, notice the SPL of the Cali is 96db, while the SPL of the 12F150 (c12n) is 102: that's a huge difference.

5. erksin

erksin Member

Thanks for your input, Dave.

Ted has suggested a paper cone and a 'boosted' magnet ("We put a disk of neodymium on the tip of the pole which increases the sensitivity of the speaker.") - I'm wondering if going with the H-dome cone would be a good idea for this amp as well since it tends to be a little bright?

Anybody ever get the H-dome option? Did it work out for you?

6. erksin

erksin Member

Was this in a lower wattage amp? I'm wondering if those SPL disparities are more noticeable with a higher volume rig? I really have no idea - I'm relatively new to this speaker stuff.

Thanks for the info!

7. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I have one in a late 50s Gibson GA40, and my experience with it is just as stated by Mr. Orban. The Cali has a certain amount of warmth, would match up well with a bright amp.

8. johnzias

johnzias Member

Have been less than impressed with the JBL type Webers bought in the last year. I have one in my Twin that I purchased about 4 years ago, and it pairs very well with my D120F.

I sent two of the recent purchases back to Ted, and he sent me a pair of Neos. Not much difference in thrust from the CA's, and a significant drop in volume from my JBL's.

9. erksin

erksin Member

So based on the responses so far, it adds volume when used in a low wattage amp and drops volume when used with a higher wattage model?

Oy.