Opinions on the Wizard speaker by Eminence?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Big Bob, May 9, 2005.

1. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

Looks like it might be a winner. Anyone play on yet?

Thanks
    Bob

2. Jeff Flowerday

Jeff Flowerday Member

I need to put about 500 hours on mine before I can pass judgement, currently it crys like a stuck pig.

3. ross

ross Silver Supporting Member

"currently it crys like a stuck pig", is this a good thing or a bad thing?

4. Igneous

Igneous Supporting Member

5. Jeff Flowerday

Jeff Flowerday Member

Cone Cry. A bad thing...

6. Ohmie

Ohmie Member

Hey, I had a Private Jack with bad cone cry. I e-mailed Eminence and their representitive said that speakers with paper cones all have some cone cry. It's B.S. in my opinion. First of all, nearly all guitar speakers have paper cones and the Private Jack was the only one that I've had this problem with. I sent it back and told them to get me a good speaker. It worked. They sent me a brand new Private Jack and it has been behaving itself. So, yes they may cry, but if they cry a lot, you can send them back and get a new one. Eminence has a great warranty:)

7. scottl

scottl Member

I have not noticed any cone cry with my Wizards. Must either be the pu$sy jazz crap I play or inconsistant production runs.....

Scott ;)

8. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

I just put a Wizard in one of my Z-Best 2X12's.
    I directly compared it to a G12H30 I have in another Z-Best 2X12 side by side.
    It sounds similar the G12H30 with a fatter midrange and more punch.

9. Jeff Flowerday

Jeff Flowerday Member

Your too fast Scott, you need to spend some time on the note to truelly appreciate cone cry. :D

High E string around 12-17 fret, just hold the note and see if the evil beast will show it's head. It won't happen clean, needs to be gained up a bit.

10. radialaced

radialaced Member

I had a Wizard for 1 day. It was defective, (buzzed on certain notes) so I sent it back. I'm still waiting for my new to come in.

While I had it though I did notice cone cry or ghost notes. High E string up past the 12th fret...gained up.

I always listen for that. Some speakers do it a lot. Some amps do it to, (ghost notes). Once you start looking for it you find it with almost all speakers.

I don't believe it is detectable in the mix though, (for live playing).

It would be a pain for recording though, but then again you don't have to run such high volume levels for recording and it shouldn't happen.

FWIW, the Tone Tubby that I recently acquired does not have cone cry or ghost notes. Not at all....but neither does my Jensen reissue P12N.

11. zeppo

zeppo Member

Install a pair in a 2x12 last night, 20 minutes of listening says they're pretty damn good. More as I get used to them.

12. Boogs

Boogs Member

No cone cry here. My Wizard is awesome to my ears - plenty of chunk and bite, sweet complex highs, just great character.

And I play nowhere near as fast as Scott, so I'm a good test for cone cry...

;)

13. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I just sent my Wizard back to Eminence to have them check it out for the same problem - cone cry, ie: skreetching sound. As mentioned above, it happens on the high E string, above the 12th fret, when using OD - especially with the neck pickup on the high A on the E string. Try the neck pickup with OD, Scott, on the high A, and hold it to let it sustain.

That being said, it's an excellent speaker in the vein of the G12H30. It is a bit louder than the other speakers I have (Red Fang, Blue Dog, Scumback SA12-75) so it tends to dominate when using it together with another speaker.

It has great clarity and detail. I hope they send me one that doesn't cry, because I'd like to keep it as part of my select collection.

Maybe it was crying because of my playing! :eek:

14. gec78221

gec78221 Supporting Member

How does the Wizard compare to the scumback? Is your scumback an Hp? John

15. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

My Scumback is an SA12-75 model. I haven't actually done a direct A/B comparison. They do share some tonal characteristics in general, but as I mentioned, the Wizard is louder off the bat, so it appears to be a bit more present and in your face due to that - which can be somewhat illusory, ie: the "louder is better" syndrome. My Scumback was pre-broken in, and the Wizard is still in the breaking in period, so it's not quite as smooth in the upper mids and highs yet.

Remember, the Scumback SA12-75 is an exact clone of a pre Rola Celestion G12H30, and the Wizard is Eminence's 'take' on a G12H30, but with much higher power handling, so it's going to be different because of that. I would say they are tonal first cousins, as opposed to brothers. The Wizard may be a sort of hyped up G12H30, in a good way.

16. Jeff Flowerday

Jeff Flowerday Member

Found this on Ted's site...

Cone Cry, Ghost Notes, Edge Yowl
    Context: I replaced that speaker because it had too much cone cry.
    Description: As the speaker cone is vibrated by the voice coil, it can generate frequencies of its own that may be strong enough to be audible along with the intended note or signal from the musical instrument. These notes or tones may or may not be harmonically related to the intended note, and in some cases may be either higher or lower in frequency than the intended note. This usually means that the voice coil is driving the cone so hard that it is overcoming any damping and is essentially out of control. Sometimes manufacturers use huge magnets and loose spiders so they can win the 'sensitivity ratings' contest, but the result is a system that is difficult to control. Edge yowl is the term used to describe sounds that occur when the surround resonates, imparts energy back into the cone, and generates tones and notes that may or may not be harmonically related to the intended note.

Big magnet, high efficiency, that's the Wizard...

17. radialaced

radialaced Member

That is very interesting...Hmmm I started thinking about all of my speakers and I have several that don't seem to annoy me with ghost notes. Here they are:

Tone tubby-Alnico
    Jensen P12-N - Alnico
    P10R Reissues - Anico
    early 90's Bassman RI speakers - Alnico
    A couple of Celestion Blues in a Bluesbreaker RI - Alnico
    and finally a JBL D140F in my pro - Alnico

Does anyone see a common denominator here?

18. radialaced

radialaced Member

BTW, I received my second Wizard speaker this morning, (to replace the first one that was defective). And guess what....? It's defect too!:mad:

The cone is frozen and won't move back and forth. I tried flexing it a little and the cone won't budge.

I plugged it into a amp to see if that was set the cone free, but nope.

These speakers are made like $hit!!

19. Gearhead

Gearhead Member

Waah, that sucks.

I have a pair of Wizards in a 2x12, and they are killer. Have been since the day I got them, and they're getting even better. As has been said, they are a bit more in your face, but definitely not spikey.

A possible noteworthy thing is I got them just as they came out. In fact, they were drop shipped to me directly from Eminence because the outfit I bought them from hadn't recieved their first shipment yet.

I had the same long saga as you, except with a QUAD of Private Jacks. They buzzed like the Flight of the Bumblebees. Eventually gave up on them (although others seem to love em, or are lucky). Replaced them with Governors, which have been excellent.

20. Boogs

Boogs Member

I also got mine before the stores had their stocks, dropshipped after placing the order with Avatar.

Again, no probs, great speaker.