• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Opinions on this (blame game)

music321

A small concert took place at a town community center. The headliners were a singer/guitarist and his singer/guitarist daughter.

The father and daughter each played through a different amp. About midway through the show, the father's amp started buzzing. First, he tried to swap out the cable to see if that was the cause of the problem. He called one of the sound guys over, and asked for a cable. The sound guy informed him that he didn't have any extras. In front of the audience, the musician then said something like, "Really, you don't have any extra cables? You're not going to make it very far as a sound tech." The musician then tried his daughter's cable, without any luck. The issue was his amp.

Sure, as a matter of practice the sound guy should have had an extra cable or two lying around. You know what? The musician should have also. After all, it was his show. For that matter, maybe he should have had a backup amp. Now that I think about it, I wonder who owned the amp. For whatever reason he and his daughter couldn't share an amp. He ended up playing with his daughter's amp, and kicking her off of the rest of the performance.

At the time, it seemed in bad taste to belittle the sound guy in front of the audience. Now that I think about it more, maybe the musician showed up with only his guitar, and was promised all else would be taken care of.

Any thoughts on this?

Jazzandmore

Platinum Supporting Member
He definitely shouldn’t have gone there. It’s a town Community Center, so it’s not like this guitarist is playing Royal Albert Hall, definitely no need to make the other guy feel like a nobody.

This guy may have grown up in one of those households where the parents constantly do that to others and or to the kids. So maybe he learned that behavior. Not an excuse though.

music321

i love the way we get part of a story here and then just go with it.i don't need no stinking facts.off with his head!
I've presented the situation as accurately as I can. What I actually witnessed seems pretty cut and dry. I didn't report any events that are open to interpretation. I wasn't sure how to view this either, which is why I posted. My gut feeling is that same as the opinion provided by others here. I'm open to the possibility that maybe there's a way to look at this which puts the performer in a better light, but the overall impression isn't a good one.

stevemc

sorry @music321, i was more addressing the responses to your op.just an observation of a pattern.i did not mean it to come off as a criticism of you.

GravityJim

So it's okay for him not to carry a spare cable but not the sound guy ? Idiot.
Yeah! I would expect a sound guy to carry extra cables for his rig. Your rig is yours. Maybe the sound guy should have a backup amp and guitar for you, too.

Regardless of the situation, expressing your displeasure with any aspect of the show into a mic is bush league.

offbeat

No class on the part of the musician... if it's his stuff, it's his responsibility to make sure it works or swap it out if it doesn't. If it's a fly-in gig, where he was promised and amp and rig, THEN it's a different story.
But the only reason I posted was this... as a guy who gets calls occasionally to run sound, I'm thinking about getting a few of those incredibly cheap molded cables from radio shack.
"I'm sorry, Mr. Guitar Player. Your 200 dollar high-end cork sniffer cable crapped out on you? Here's a spare, still in the cellophane wrapper!"
:)

Another old-guy story... I used to play in a pretty good country band. We played in a new venue, and the place was so full the lead singer decided NOT to use her wireless mic, and just went with a cable (no room to move around anyway).
During the night, someone asked if the local hero could sing a song- "He's really great! You'll love him!" An elderly gentleman comes up, dressed in the full Nudie suit, like he was doing us a huge favor by blessing us with his presence. He took the mic, realized it had a cable attached, and said, "No wireless? Well, poor is as poor does, I guess..."
What an ass.

Wait, what are we ranting about, again?

music321

No class on the part of the musician... if it's his stuff, it's his responsibility to make sure it works or swap it out if it doesn't. If it's a fly-in gig, where he was promised and amp and rig, THEN it's a different story.
But the only reason I posted was this... as a guy who gets calls occasionally to run sound, I'm thinking about getting a few of those incredibly cheap molded cables from radio shack.
"I'm sorry, Mr. Guitar Player. Your 200 dollar high-end cork sniffer cable crapped out on you? Here's a spare, still in the cellophane wrapper!"
:)

Another old-guy story... I used to play in a pretty good country band. We played in a new venue, and the place was so full the lead singer decided NOT to use her wireless mic, and just went with a cable (no room to move around anyway).
During the night, someone asked if the local hero could sing a song- "He's really great! You'll love him!" An elderly gentleman comes up, dressed in the full Nudie suit, like he was doing us a huge favor by blessing us with his presence. He took the mic, realized it had a cable attached, and said, "No wireless? Well, poor is as poor does, I guess..."
What an ass.

Wait, what are we ranting about, again?
"Classless is as classless does!"

Trending Topics