Opinions on this Les Paul Custom Classic, please.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by hector, Feb 10, 2012.

1. hector

hector Member

I just purchased (online) a new Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic in creme color. Upon arrival I noticed an issue around the nut area. Appears to be some checking or cracking in the finish. I called the store and they offered me a $300 refund, calling it a "blemish". The other option is to return it for full refund. Anyhow, the guitar really sounds good. Better than most of my Les Pauls. My question(s) is: should I be concerned about this flaw? Is a typical? Likely to get worse? And finally, would you buy a guitar like this, even at a discount? Thanks in advance for your opinions.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. GM Reszel

GM Reszel Member

Clearly shipping damage, no doubt in my mind - at our shop we have gibs and epis returned at least once a week from the heavy hand of shipping roughness. By the crack that means that the fretboard possibly separated a small amount in that area. Very least the whole head flexed enough to crack the finish.

Truth be told the guitar could be just fine (if it's only flexion to crack finish not wood). No matter what it did take a shock and it's your call what you'd like to do. I probably wouldn't hesitate to gig with it if I really liked it and would take the 300$ discount.

The devil's advocate side is 'what if' (there is a fretboard crack). I would pull on the head and see if there's any flexion and/or opening up of the crack and if so I'd take the refund.

3. FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman Member

Return it. $300.00 is not suitable in my opinion for compensation towards the total value of that instrument. Get one that doesnt have the damage.

4. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

$300 is about a 16% discount on that guitar. If you pull the headstock bit and nothing happens.....I'd take the money since the guitar sounds so great.

5. cyguitar

cyguitar Member

My Les Paul Studio has finish cracking/checking like that too....Although mine is a 1996, and I bought it used. If I got a new one like that, I would return it, and look for another one.

6. hector

hector Member

I've now heard two theories, temperature swings and handling. I've had LPs for many years and have been in and out of the cold and heat with them. None of them have this checking. So, I side with the above about the mishandling, most likely in shipping. Unique to this particular custom is that I went out of my way to find a light one. It's only 9 lbs. yet sounds wonderful. Other customs were 10-11 lbs.

7. Chris Scott

Chris Scott Silver Supporting Member

This.

8. GtrDr

GtrDr Member

If Gibson would just put a dopey volute on the neck & use a case that better supports the back of the neck & headstock, this would not happen. It wouldn't cost them much & pics of their $2,500.00 guitars wouldn't end up on the net.
    I received a Taylor 612 (12 strings) 3,000 miles from the factory IN TUNE! not a mark on it!

9. GM Reszel

GM Reszel Member

I hear ya' doc, don't get me started! It's the perfect storm for a cracked head!

10. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

I hate to say anything without seeing it in person, but I would be very surprised if there were any actual damage, and if it was I would be extremely surprised if it were something that a small drop of glue couldn't permanently fix, and I suspect the $300 would more than cover it, including the minor touchup required to make the finish cracking less noticeable. If I grabbed the headstock and did some good flexing and nothing opened up, and I liked the guitar, I'd take the money and smile.

Anyhow, that's just my opinion. Why not take it down to a repair guy and pay him a few bucks to do an evaluation? It shouldn't take but a couple of minutes to evaluate the problem area and also give the entire guitar a once over for anything else that could be improved later on.

One thing, though, is I'm noticing the nut looks a little funny, especially on the bass side. It really doesn't seem cut very well. On the bass side it almost looks like a chip's been taken out. Maybe they whacked on it with a hammer to seat it or move it over into place, and that could have well chipped the nut AND the finish, neither of which is a big deal.

11. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Member

Gibson got so much crap for the volute they added back in the 70s that the corporate memory will never permit it to happen ever again.

12. hector

hector Member

Guys, thanks your posts. I am probably just gonna return it. Really sounds great, but I end up starring at that crack every time I play it. I probably won't replace it either. I already have a Goldtop and black custom classics anyhow. No, I'm not a collector, I play them regularly. I do wonder what will happen to it though. I guess they'll just sell it as a scratch and dent. But someone is gonna get a great sounding LP.

13. hector

hector Member

Interesting. So, I called another store with a Classic Custom Creme and had him photo the nut and email it to me. It had the same checking/cracking at the side of the nut. I talked to the guy and he said he had another one with a crack like that before, and it was CREME as well. So, it almost seems like this is an issue specific to the creme finish on Les Pauls. For reference my "alpine white" does not have this issue. Anyone out there have a creme classic custom? Take a look at the side of the nut.

14. levelfrets

levelfrets Member

Looks like just finish checking to me. This time of year would make sense for the finish checking considering the cold weather and no climate control on the shipping trucks.

15. Mikey2201

Mikey2201 Member

I would return it for a refund. Even if it was just cosmetic it would drive me crazy

16. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

There's a reason car guys stopped using nitro years ago. Nitro is an automotive paint. They stopped using it for various reason, amongst which is the checking they get. When I talk to my local paint shop guys, they're always surprised when I tell them that I still shoot nitro sometimes. "Doesn't it check and crack?". LOL, yes.

17. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

Over its lifetime, odds are you will see tons of stuff that bug you on a white guitar like that.

18. hector

hector Member

I returned it last night. BTW, I bought it from a GC. I called two other GCs about their creme Custom Classics and would you believe they both had checking/cracking around the nut area. One sent a photo and the other store didn't even bother. They said it's going back to the Gibson factory. I strongly believe Gibson has a issue with the creme finish. Buyer beware.

19. kebotrans

kebotrans Gold Supporting Member

Look at mine

Well guys, I got mine but I am not happy. This is what it looked like right out of the case. I am all for a little Nitro checking but not brand new. The neck heel is still showing wood. It was not even painted good. So far Gibson has told me this is all normal. I was excited about this guitar, but I am losing patience.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. magicaxeman

magicaxeman Member

I think John has nailed it here, it looks very much like that to me as well.