1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Opinions On This Song Mix Please

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by hardys, May 23, 2011.

Is the guitar track loud enough in this song?

1. Yes, it's loud enough

2. No, it needs to be louder

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. hardys

hardys Member

Here's a link to a song I wrote/recorded in my home studio. I'm wondering if the guitar level is loud enough in the mix. One day I think it's fine and the next day I think it should be a pinch louder. I've gotten too close to it to be completely objective.

I'd really welcome some other player's opinions. Please vote so I can stop driving myself freaking crazy.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?p=10707605#post10707605

2. Kenny D

Kenny D Member

3. Julia343

Julia343 Member

I listened over my monitors and was doing some mixing so I had the level set to mix level. The guitar is plenty loud enough. The other parts might be too loud. However the guitar sounds thin -- nice tone though. There's really not much you can do except either record it a second time note for note, or use something like this: Waves Doubler. This will fatten up the guitar. It's only $38 and if you're going to do recording in the future it might be worth the money. Plus it's great on vocals.

http://www.waves.com/content.aspx?id=351

Set it to add to double the guitar + 2 cents, and add another -2 cents. People won't notice this. Add in the dry guitar, use a mono/stereo version of it. Don't feel bad about doing this. Studios do stuff like this all the time, or they split the signal and record through several different amps so that the guitar sounds huge.

You might also want to add a reverb on the guitar. It seems to sound almost like it's not being played in the same place as the other instruments.

4. B Money

B Money Member

listening on my crappy ear buds, the guitar level seemed a pinch too low.

5. hardys

hardys Member

Thanks a million for the tips. I'm going to give it a try with the Waves Doubler. I agree that the guitar can sound bigger, but didn't know how to fix it.

6. cbguy

cbguy Green & Gold Supporter

guitar is plenty loud enough.

If I had any thoughts about things to bring down "a hair" it would be the bass and maybe one of the percussion instruments (just in a few places).

nice playing, too.