• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

opinions please.....2 guitars 1 amp vs 2 amps 1 guitar....

pedalcr8z

Having recently bought a Collings 290 with Lollar P-90's I've discovered that my Nocaster is too similar sonically ..........have 1 amp, a Victoria Double Deluxe. Torn between swapping the Nocaster for a different sounding guitar or swapping it for a different sounding amp...........don't gig, home use only. I've never cared for humbuckers but in all fairness I have only tried McCarty's and Historic LP's neither of which are noted for their humbuckers especially PRS although I've read their new 57/08's are killer.
I'm sure others have been down this path before.......simply interested in more colors for my sound pallette so is it 2 guitars 1 amp or 2 amps 1 guitar? Thanks!

DC1

If the Collings guitar is perfect for you and versatile, I would get the 2 amps.

If you need very different sounds, such as electric 12-string, you simply need more than one guitar. In that case, a super clean amp like a Hiwatt, 2 guitars, and pedals makes more sense. But if you can find happiness and most of your sounds, in one guitar, I would go for the 2 amps.

dc

62Tele

Silver Supporting Member
Are you locked into the p90 thing? A guy on the Collings forum put TV Jones classics into his 290 - they make a direct p90 drop in and I believe Collings is offering these as an option but I may be wrong. I have a tele with two of those pickups and it cover different ground than my trad tele. Filtertrons are kind of halfway between single coils and buckers so to speak so you might get along with them. You could also put minibuckers with soapbar surrounds in the 290 - I see Collings has come out with a minibucker guitar and you could call them and see what they think of either pickup in their 290's.

Mattbedrock

Gold Supporting Member
I guess I can't relate to this at all. I'm at 50+ guitars and 10+ amps. And still shopping. There's a whole world of great sounds out there. Jump in, the water's fine.

Foxtrot

I guess I can't relate to this at all. I'm at 50+ guitars and 10+ amps. And still shopping. There's a whole world of great sounds out there. Jump in, the water's fine.
Not everybody has the $$$ or space for that.

pedalcr8z, my thoughts are that whenever I switch guitars, no matter how similar they are in sound or feel, it always takes a while to adjust myself to the guitar.

I say keep the Collings & use the proceeds to expand your tones with another amp or pocket most of it & get a nice OD or something.

Trending Topics