Opinions Please-Fender Relic Tele/Esquire Comparisons

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by todd richman, Feb 1, 2006.

1. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

I would like to hear some thoughts on this comparison. I am trading a brand new Rory Strat to a dealer in the midwest and will be getting either a Relic Nocaster, Relic '63 Tele or relic '59 Esquire. I am a Les Paul Burst guy with a boatload of D*A*M pedals for fuzz and OD and a late 70's 4 input Marshall 100 watter with a plexi mod. I am a die hard Black Crowes, early Zep and Sticky Fingers/Exile-era Stones fanatic. Which of these guitars is best for those types of tones. My Marshall is run rather clean but robust and I will use the various D*A*M pedals (1966, MkIII, Unidrive and Colorsound OD replicas) for dirt. I am also considering a new Red Snapper which sounds great and also resembles the D*A*M tall boxes! Let's here your comments...

2. Ray Ramadon

Ray Ramadon Guest

I Use a 1972, 50Watt Marshall 4-input with a 1996 Gibson Goldtop (R6) with P-90's and that is a very close in tone to some of those older sounds we all know and love!!! I always get compliments from people who come out to see me play..

Check us out sometime:

www.jonnylaw.us

3. todd richman

Ray thanks for the link. Your stuff is very good-P.M. sent BTW. More ops wanted...keep it coming...:RoCkIn

4. Tapp

Tapp Member

I agree with Echoplex! I have a '51 Nocaster relic and it's got the fattest bridge pickup single coil I've ever heard. The neck is fat and super stable, a great guitar! I'm keeping the stock wiring for now. I like being able to roll the tone back and blend the neck & bridge for strumming/rhythm sounds.

Tapp

5. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

can't go wrong w/ the nocaster.
    the esquire is a bit more of a beast to tackle, but the rewards can be very great. there is a wealth of tones in that single PUP and volume and tone knobs and a switch that gives the options of bypassing the tone control or adding the big cap for those 'wooden ships' tones. it's all about cranking the amp and using the volume/tone effectively on the esquire.

6. teleblaster

teleblaster Supporting Member

Although, ive never had a fender relic i have some old teles and a custom shop esquire. The telecasters are more useable for different sounds but, the esquire drives pedals better in the open bridge position.The bridge is straight through no tone control. The lack of a neck pickup gives it punch and sustain.My esquire is my favorite with pedals , or anything else for that matter. Mike

7. Ogre

Ogre Member

Hard to go wrong with any of the choices mentioned. If you live on the bridge pickup, the Esquire is a classic. If you have to have 2 pickups, it comes down to a rosewood versus maple fingerboard decision. In my experience, it's easier to find a toneful maple neck than a toneful rosewood neck. But, if you do find the right rosewood-necked Tele, watch out!

8. JonathanD

JonathanD Guest

I like the 51 personally. great sounding and feeling and plenty versatile.

9. bagpipe

bagpipe Member

Ray, I agree - those clips are great. I'm listening to "The Way" right now and really enjoying it - great guitar tones. Is that the combo you mention above - LP with P-90s into the Marshall? Nice use of the wah too - I always seem to get stuck in the rut of playing the same thing over and over when using a wah.

10. Joe M

Joe M Member

I have had all of the guitars you listed at one time. IMHO, the nocaster is the best playing and sounding of the three. Like others have mentioned, all of them are great guitars, you really couldn't go wrong with any of them; but if you had to choose one, take the Nocaster.....

11. Ray Ramadon

Ray Ramadon Guest

Thanks Todd!! I appriciate your kind words!! Any questions on my gear or guitars just let me know!! If you laos have band I would love to hear them too!! Jonny Law will have a new website out very soon and newly recorded songs to bring it all up to date! Where from CT and will be playing alot of venues soon. Thanks again and good luck with your tone and music!

Peace,
    Ray

www.jonnylaw.us

12. todd richman

Thanks to all so far. Ray I sent another email reply to you. I am going with the Nocaster Relic and will diary the Esquire for later. I want all three actually and also a Keith style Nocaster-Micawber with neck Humbucker but that will wait as will the Firebird, SG and ES series I covet...This site is so bad for my retirement nestegg! At this rate I will be working well into my nineties unless I get signed and get a huge advance that I actually get to keep!!!

13. teleblaster

teleblaster Supporting Member

One thing i forgot to mention, If you decide to try the esquire and dont like it, you can always put a neck pickup in it! There routed just like an telecaster just without the pickup.I wish i could do sound samples you would not belive what the DAM mk11 with an esquire through a tweed twin sounds like. I agree with some of the other guys too. Both are great! ` Mike :dude

14. Ray Ramadon

Ray Ramadon Guest

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE PROPS!!!

I TRY TO USE THE WAH IN A VOCAL KIND OF WAY, AND IF YOU CAN DANCE FAIRLY WELL IT MAKES YOU BETTER AT USING YOUR FEET!!! (LOL)!!! I HEAR YOU THOUGH!!

15. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

Todd, you know that there are big differences in neck thickness between those pieces, right? Thick to thin: Nocaster, Esq, 63. Best to try them & find out which one works best in your hands.

16. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

for anyone that's played a relic nocaster:

i know it's made to look old but is the fret board smoothed out to mimic 35 years of fretboard wear? i'm asking because i want an old tele just because they can play so smoothly if you find the right one. but they're getting really expensive and i'm not sure i can afford one.

17. Ray Ramadon

Ray Ramadon Guest

WELL I DO I KNOW THE LIVE STUFF FROM LAST SUMMER'S BLUEFISH FESTIVAL IS MY 50-WATT MARSHALL AND MY R6 W/ p-90's!!!

Some of the other stuff might be hard for me to rememebr!!!

LOL!!!!

www.jonnylaw.us

18. Berre

Berre Member

well i've got a Relic nocaster too, and i've put in a 4-way switch so you
    can get a humbucking sound in the fourth position....
    NICE !!! ;)

bert

19. Tapp

Tapp Member

Feels very smooth to me! It's just a very comfortable feeling neck. I would have never thought that I'd like a fat neck like this but for some reason it just feels right in my hands. The only thing is that bends are a little more difficult with the 7" radius. If you're bending a lot, I would definitely try it out to see how it works for you.

Tapp

20. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

i dunno,
    i've been buying/collecting gee-tars for nigh on to 42 years now.
    lessee...
    yup every one has increased in value since i bought it, a few recent purchases notwithstanding, and most much, much more than the COLA and a great number larger than the stock market.
    that's presuming U pay cash and don't suffer debilitating credit charges.
    it also presumes U have a certain amount of savvy and/or luck.
    has anyone checked the price of MIJ rosewood teles lately?
    who woulda figgered?
    the nocasters are holding their value well on eBay and the cunetto ones are just goin thru the roof.