Opinions Please: New Pedal board vs Fractal FX8?

dpgreek

Gold Supporting Member
I'm eyeballing the FX8 for sure to make things simple. So this version has no amp or cab modeling right? So I would have to keep my tube pre / torpedo cab to go ampless or direct to PA?

ES330

Pedal board all the way !!!!
Going thru pedals is part of the fun and lets you explore new sounds.
Or keep the setup you got, but replace sounds.

Though having presets could be useful, looks like a ton of work to get there.

chrisjnyc

Silver Supporting Member
Pro:
1 one stop shopping
2. presets
3. exp pedal control on every effect

Cons
1. Seems like the wait list for the FX8 is fairly slow going... You could build a pedal board today
2. The fuzz on the FX8 is not as good as what you would find in pedals.... especially stacked\gated type fuzz (devi, DBA, etc)
3. You could build a decent board for a lot less than $1350

Last edited:

tahoebrian5

Does anyone have any idea how long the wait list is now? I'm on the verge of either buying a gigrig.. Like literally was one click away on PayPal.. and Decided to do one last look into other options. I could see the pros of the Ax8, will certainly be cheaper but my patience level is not that high.

sbruce

I don't know for sure, but I saw several people got their notification the past few weeks who signed up back in November. That would lead me to believe they are still quite a ways out. I signed up in Late July, but think I'll have to move on with a rig before I get a notice.

Cgkindler

What about the Helix? It looks to be EXTREMELY powerful, and may offer a lot of the same benefits?

Just an idea for someone who's ready to actually make the purchase.....Especially cool if you get form somewhere with a return policy.....no risk all possible reward!!

Kluch

I'm having this very same debate at the moment... my existing pedals + a couple new ones + a midi controller/switcher or FX8 + a couple of my existing pedals. The FX8 is VERY tempting... then you throw the Helix into the mix (which is also tempting) but I don't use modeling much or ever really... I'm stuff on which direction to go

dpgreek

Gold Supporting Member
I keep reading that the memory when building up effects keeps filling up fast giving errors. Big turn off for me

rsm

Ah, yes. OP here.

In the end, I actually purchased a Boss GT-100 around the time the L6 Firehawk FX was announced IIRC. I got on the FX8 waitlist, but didn't buy one. A few months later, the Helix was announced. I wanted a SY-300 and pre-ordered then cancelled it as the Helix GAS grew. While watching the mega Helix thread, I continued to use my GT-100 and got a SY-300 for a great price.

I still have Helix GAS, but I'm very happy with my GT-100 (and the price), still dabbling with the SY-300 and redirected my GAS toward guitars.

If I was looking for a digital modeler today, I'd probably go with a Helix or a GT-100 again.

dpgreek

Gold Supporting Member
FX8.... there's a thread on it. It's like there's not enough memory depending on how many effects you stack up.... or you'll get memory notifications. I don't know if it's been addressed or fixed, but that would suck

earwax

FX8.... there's a thread on it. It's like there's not enough memory depending on how many effects you stack up.... or you'll get memory notifications. I don't know if it's been addressed or fixed, but that would suck

Is the FX8 II or AX8 on the horizon?

jamester

Gold Supporting Member
I'm also considering an FX8 and this concerns me as well. I wonder if two factors are:

1) Using the highest quality setting; perhaps putting some fx at the normal setting helps, and especially if...

2) Using the X-Y feature for every block. That effectively makes sixteen effects in memory, and if all are at the highest quality setting I could understand running into memory problems.

oil

I have gone from pedals to FX8 about 10 days ago.

Before I had:

BS2 Buffer > Volume pedal > BJFE PGC > Tees Wah > Clusterfuzz > BJFE Honeybee > Buffalo Fx Evo > BJFE BPB > Effectrode Tubevibe > Foxrox TZF (original) stereo Out 1 - DMM > Strymon Dig > Ditto X2 > amp 1.
Stereo Out 2 (from TZF) Disaster Transport Sr > Strymon Dig > Ditto X2 > amp 2.

Now I have the FX8 with two expression pedals.

I have kept my treasured BJFEs (Honeybee, PGC, BPB) and vintage DMM (just in case!) and sold the rest.

I could not be happier. There are pros and cons to the two systems but I am completely astounded by the sounds and usability of the Fx8. It is of course different from my pedals in many ways (nothing else could sound like a Foxrox TZF!) but the pros dramatically outweigh the cons.

My board is a fraction of its former size and silent. I have so many sounds available and it is far easier to use than the massive array of pedals.

I have of course saved some badly needed cash as well. This partly inspired the move as I spent far to much on a LP Goldtop and BK Nantucket p90s to go in it (stonking guitar!). But I really wasn't sure and didn't start selling my pedals until I spent many hours on it with my amps.

I am also finding FX8 really inspiring. I am such a cork sniffer when it comes to tones and I have had many hundreds of pedals over the years including most of the ones availabe from the likes of Cornish and Toneczar, but I think getting the FX8 was the best thing I have ever done. Maybe my feelings will change in time but I very, very much doubt it.

chrisjnyc

Silver Supporting Member
I have gone from pedals to FX8 about 10 days ago.

Before I had:

BS2 Buffer > Volume pedal > BJFE PGC > Tees Wah > Clusterfuzz > BJFE Honeybee > Buffalo Fx Evo > BJFE BPB > Effectrode Tubevibe > Foxrox TZF (original) stereo Out 1 - DMM > Strymon Dig > Ditto X2 > amp 1.
Stereo Out 2 (from TZF) Disaster Transport Sr > Strymon Dig > Ditto X2 > amp 2.

Now I have the FX8 with two expression pedals.

I have kept my treasured BJFEs (Honeybee, PGC, BPB) and vintage DMM (just in case!) and sold the rest.

I could not be happier. There are pros and cons to the two systems but I am completely astounded by the sounds and usability of the Fx8. It is of course different from my pedals in many ways (nothing else could sound like a Foxrox TZF!) but the pros dramatically outweigh the cons.

My board is a fraction of its former size and silent. I have so many sounds available and it is far easier to use than the massive array of pedals.

I have of course saved some badly needed cash as well. This partly inspired the move as I spent far to much on a LP Goldtop and BK Nantucket p90s to go in it (stonking guitar!). But I really wasn't sure and didn't start selling my pedals until I spent many hours on it with my amps.

I am also finding FX8 really inspiring. I am such a cork sniffer when it comes to tones and I have had many hundreds of pedals over the years including most of the ones availabe from the likes of Cornish and Toneczar, but I think getting the FX8 was the best thing I have ever done. Maybe my feelings will change in time but I very, very much doubt it.

Can the FX8 cop the Disaster Transport Sr tones? I know it does clean delay well ,but what about a dirtier\warmer analog delay?

oil

I used the DT Sr for ambient wash sounds and the FX8 does that plus much, much more with the Multi Delay. I haven't tried to get exactly the same tones but it can do dirty and warm delay sounds. I have been trying to get a good DMM sound and I am getting there. The amount of control you have in FX8 edit is extraordinary. Generally I think it is hard to replicate the character of certain pedals exactly but you can get close. That is the same for modulation, drives as well as delay.

jamester

Gold Supporting Member
My main concern other than sounds is how easy is it to edit on the fly, on stage in the heat of battle? How many steps more than "just bend down and turn the knob" like on a regular pedal?

Pat Healy

My main concern other than sounds is how easy is it to edit on the fly, on stage in the heat of battle? How many steps more than "just bend down and turn the knob" like on a regular pedal?

1. Step on the IA switch for the effect you want to edit

2. Turn the appropriate knob

3. Save

That's it.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom