Opinions Please On DiMarzio Super Distortion DP100 & Virtual Hot PAF DP214 For An LP

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by 5er Driver, Feb 6, 2008.

1. 5er Driver

5er Driver Member

Hi Dudes & Dudettes,

It's time to replace the stock pups in my Epi LP Custom for tonal reasons. I need open coils with creme colored bobbins for the cosmetics. For the tone I'm thinking about the DiMarzio Super Distortion DP100 for the bridge and the Virtual Hot PAF DP214 for the neck. However, the DP100 doesn't have adjustable pole pieces. Looks like they have rivets instead of screws which are cheap looking and non-functional. I don't think I would actually need to adjust the pole pieces but I want matching (cosmetically) pups. Are you aware of any other pup manufacturers who produce creme colored open coils with the tonal characteristics of the DP100 & DP214 and in the same price range? I checked Seymour Duncan and some others but they don't have creme bobbins as an option, only white, zebra, & black. I know I can have any pup custom made to my specs but I don't need to convert this LP into a $1,000,000 guitar. It's just a jam/have fun guitar.

Thanks.

2. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

The super distortion does have adjustable polepieces. You use an allen wrench to adjust them. Anyway that is a great pickup. It's on a lot of classic rock songs and albums.

3. Balok

Balok Member

I've found that I like the SD or the Gibson 500T if I'm using a stiffer, vintage amp like an old Marshall that tends to run clean and bright. With modern amps and their much higher gain, I prefer PAF PUPs for more clarity, detail and sizzle, such as the Dimarzio vintage output class.

4. 5er Driver

5er Driver Member

Thanks Guys, upon closer inspection of some detailed pics I see that there are allen screw adjustable pole pieces in the DiMarzio DP100. I just ordered one for the bridge and a DiMarzio DP190 Air Classic Neck, both creme.

Thanks again.

5. darkbluemurder

darkbluemurder Member

The DP 100 is a classic. High output that kicks some serious butt. A weaker neck pup will go well with it. That will make a great combination for hard rock.

6. 5er Driver

5er Driver Member

I put the DiMarzio Super Distortion and Air Classic Neck in today along with new wiring, pots, & switch. Now this cheap git sounds fantastic through my Marshall. It nails the tone from the 70's & 80's hard rock. I got it now, I'm there. So, I'll go reminisce again for a while........

Thanks to all for the advice.