Opinions please

i am considering buying the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 40w... I see they are $729 new ,.. But there are a few used in my local area for $350-375... I would like to hear thoughts from anyone who has put some time on one of these amps. Any breakdowns etc???? Thanks

swiveltung

They are great sounding amps. They do have issues at times though. They have some issues with poor solder joints and overheated resistors on the board. I've had to fix alot of point to point vintage amps too though, it's really hard to put it all in perspective, but I dont remember the PTP amps needing any repairs in the first 15 years or so....That's about all I can tell you.

b80

Loved my HRDeluxe. Had it around 15 years and changed tubes once. Never had a problem. It's loud enough for practice. Great for recording. Stick a tubescreamer in front and proceed to rock. Enjoy!

batfish

Do you need the overdrive channel? I've had a few blackface reissues ( '65 Deluxe Reverb ( twice!) and 65 Princeton Reverb) and never had any problems, though the second DRRI I owned ( the one I still have) sounded better than the first one. Not sure if these are considered extremely reliable , but they are built to a slightly higher standard than the hotrod series, at least on paper. I've never had any problems with them and they sound really good, but they're clean amps until turned up pretty loud, that's a problem for a lot of people.

FWIW, I prefer the DRRI to the PRRI - the PRRI, is, imho, a 'clean', quiet amp - sounds great clean and has amazing tremolo, but the DRRI, to my ear, sounds as good clean ( though tremolo isn't as nice :) ) but better when cranked up and is loud enough for moderately loud band use.

Last edited:

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
The new ones, version 3, have improvements over what you're likely seeing used for half the price. The volume knobs work a lot better and the overdrive is smoother. The older ones are decent amps. Not great, but you can easily get through a gig with them.

Trending Topics