Opinions wanted: My band's new recordings

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by HughesP, Jan 8, 2008.

1. HughesP

HughesP Member

Hi everyone,

My band just finished recording a 4 song demo in our keyboard players basement and I'm curious to hear what others think of the songs/production/etc... I just joined the group - I play guitar and I feel like I'm still trying to figure out the right tones/style of playing for the band. Let me know what you think.

http://www.thelotustheory.com

2. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

Vocals remind me of Saint Etienne - which I love

I agree w/ Travis though. A better mix could greatly improve the overall sound. The drums are too roomy and the snare / OHs are just too hot.

That said - musically - it's really nice. I really like it - but being a mixer myself, it's sorta frustrating listening to it sounding out of balance ( at least from how I like it )

3. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

The mix to me seems really aggressive given the style of music.

4. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

I guess since I also mix for my band, the sound does sound like a live mix. The snare and toms are too hot and most of the time the kick is nonexistent. I think the drums need to be compressed to give them and tight sound. I also agree about the space and that the other instruments need to be more in the mix. The girl has a nice pleasing voice but it needs to be fattened up a bit and maybe get her to sing closer to the mic, cause it sounds a little too thin a breathy. I think I you could get a little more fullness out of her voice and bring it up into the forefront of the mix you'll be O.K. I finally got the live mix I've always wanted for our band once we got rid of the other sound men. All they want to hear is frickn' drums an bass. They're so concerned with the bottom end punch that they always sacrificed the other instruments and mainly the vocals. I don't know if the drummer had a lot to do with the final mix, but it sounds like he wanted to make sure everyone heard his kit. Just my .02

5. HughesP

HughesP Member

Cool. Always good to hear some feedback. I can hear what you guys are saying about the drums, though I hadn't really thought of it before.

Our keyboard player is our engineer - but he was originally a drummer and has quite a bit of mixing experience live working at a local metal/hardcore venue - which probably accounts for some of he mix as you are hearing it.

6. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

Im listening to Lost and Found right now. I dig the tune but agree with pretty much everything thats been said.

I cant hear the kick of the bass guitar. Yeah on Nothing... the kick should be comped and EQ'd a bit. Sounds a little rubbery to me.

These are good songs and I really like the guitar sounds. I think they fit very well.

I think you've got a product here. A few tweaks and she'll be real good. FWIW, if you've already saved some money by recording it in the basement, pay a pro to mix it. You'll be glad you did and you can get someone to do it very reasonable.

Good stuff.

7. bostonwal

bostonwal Member

Just regarding the songs and the sound of the band (i.e. not the recording) the band sounds great! She's got a great voice.