Opinions wanted on RS caps

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Tommy Tourbus, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Tommy Tourbus

Tommy Tourbus Senior Member

what do you guys think of their Jensen paper/oil, and their in house black caps?

2. BMF Effects

BMF Effects Supporting Member

Interested as well. :munch

3. Tommy Tourbus

4. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

The RS guitarworks kit in my PRS was an improvement on my custom 22. The controls just worked a little sweeter and retained more clarity when the volume knob was turned down.

5. jonny toetags

jonny toetags Member

I pretty much have always been using the Sprague Orange Drops from Mojotone.
    I was curious about the RS's so I ordered a few kits and the paper and modern caps.
    I can hardly hear a difference between the RS and Spragues.

However, all 3 are better than stock.

6. Tommy Tourbus

do you notice a diff between their paper n oil and their modern?

7. jonny toetags

jonny toetags Member

I honestly didn't.
    I tried the paper, the modern and Orange Drops in the same couple guitars.

8. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

The RS caps were touted, initially, to be made by the same manufacturer as Hovlands. They supposedly went straight to the source. They are obviosuly smaller due to the descreases voltage specification.

If you want ultimate clarity and a sense of "hi-fi" get the RS caps. If you want to retain a warm and "woody" tone, get the Jensens.

I always recommned doing the standard 0.022uF for the bridge and 0.015uF for the neck tone circuit; as well as 50's wiring. It just works for me.

If this doens't get you where you want to be, then look at pickups changes, magnet swaps (A2 for A5) and aluminum tailpieces, as well as the ABR vs. Nasheville debate.

9. Tommy Tourbus

If I have a dark sounding guitar will a paper n oil cap darken in too much, making it muddy?

same question about the modern cap in a bright guitar - Will it brighten it too much?

10. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

The type/brand of tone cap in a guitar has no impact on tone what-so-ever.

There are are many folks who will strongly disagree with me, but there are a whole lot who have also found that the type of cap has no impact on tone. The cap isn't in the signal path, it bleeds high frequencies to ground. a 5 cent .022uf ceramic cap will do (and sound) the same as a $30 paper in oil .022uf cap

Have at it, gents :)

11. jamison162

Russ...You can't argue with ignorance. But until you try it for yourself, believe what you will. Or maybe you just don't have the ears for it, in which case I'm not gonna waste time trying to explain it to you. :)

Might as well wire your whole house with aluminum then. Same difference right.

12. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Ouch, I think I just took a beating :Spank

I have tried many, many caps, POI, Hovland, Various OD's, Mallories, Mylars and the lowly ceramics. Am I somehow less of a human because I don't hear the big difference?

The comment about wiring my house with aluminum went right over my head

13. RSRelic

RSRelic Member

Hovland caps are not made by Hovland they are made by a independent winding house to there specs just as our caps are. For years we worked around Hovland's sad product delivery because we loved the job we thought they did to our requested specs on the GuitarCap only to find out after getting no deliveries for three months that they were not even the maker. Why deal with a middle man when you have your own specs just go straight to the maker and that's just what we did.

On the Hi Fi part I don't think that a cap that's clear and transparent is Hi Fi it's just a well made part that does not color your tone. You want Hi Fi try an Hovland MusiCap or Auricap because those are real Hi Fi caps made for Stereo/audio work. I fully agree that if you want fat go with the Paper in oil.

14. jamison162

See above.