Oppurtunity to snag a Vintage Fender Twin Reverb.. Help?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Burruss, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Burruss

Burruss Member

Hey guys,

At my local music store, there is a 70's (73 I believe)Twin Reverb for sale. I can get it for 925. It is in pretty good condition, for it's age. It definitely looks like it's been well loved...

The speakers are not original. The amp sounds terrific and everything seems to be in good working condition, which I cannot say for the other twin, a '74. The reverb is busted on that guy. Fender with no reverb is like a cobra with no venom. What do you get? A belt...

Anyhow, Is this a fair price? In general, what kind of maintenance and tune ups do these amps usually require? All in all, is this an amp to jump on, or is it nothing to write home about?

I appreciate your input!

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Figure on $200 or so for a cap job and complete checkout right off the bat. Might also need tubes.

I don't think it's a bad deal but it's not a screamin' deal. On the other hand, being able to try out an amp and not have to get it shipped is easily worth $200 and if you love the tone....

3. Burruss

Burruss Member

Just asked my salesman at the shop. The speakers are quote "one is an eminence legend, and the other is black and mysterious"

4. Michael Hunter

Michael Hunter Supporting Member

Well, that doesn't inspire much confidence...

5. stetyrrell

stetyrrell Member

Which could mean you'll have to throw in another one fiddy for a replacement speaker. So you're now into 350 minimum after a cap job and speaker, and then it might need tubes. It all really depends on how much you want the amp, and if you really want the vintage as opposed to a reissue for cheaper.

6. Mr. Crow

Mr. Crow Member

Seems pretty high to me. I'm going by what I'm seeing on my CraigsList. Silverface 1970's models in good shape seem to be found pretty easily for between $600-$700, sometimes even cheaper.

7. pbmw

pbmw Member

I've seen mid 70's Twins around here for 6-8 hundred. It seems a little high to me especially if you need to take it to a tech.

8. chillerthanmost

chillerthanmost Member

That's way high on price. They go from $600-$700 on CL.

9. cheetah77

cheetah77 Supporting Member

Way high, my wife bought her totally stock 73, in great condition, for $650.00.

10. Burruss

Burruss Member

Where might I ask?

11. Burruss

Burruss Member

Also, The amp was serviced right before it came into the shop, if that makes it a better deal at all.

12. stratpaulguy86

stratpaulguy86 Member

Wayyyy high. I picked up a '66 or '67 Blackface Twin with non original speakers for a grand even. My '74 cost me $400 and after some Weber Californias I'm in it for $650.

13. CthonicEwes

CthonicEwes Member

Agree with others, price too high. Does it have a master volume?

14. Solideogloria

Solideogloria Member

I bought my 69 TR for $500. 73 TRs have master volume I believe, which aren't that highly sought after. If you really want a TR be patient and get one that isn't master volume and for a lower price as well. I vote nay.

15. cheetah77

cheetah77 Supporting Member

M-Troniks, Mesa Arizona. The 73's are notoriously hated by guitarists playing other than steel guitar, the only guy I can even think of that uses one these days is Jack White, but he's got the Silvertone onstage as well to warm things up.

16. mrmjp

mrmjp Member

No thanks, too high

17. cratz2

cratz2 Member

Hrmm... seems a bit high, but maybe Atlanta prices are higher than Indy prices. If it's a Master Volume, I'd probably pass. If it's non-Master Volume, I'd try to get the price down unless the shop shows a receipt from the tech that worked on it itemizing the work that was done.

Bottom line... If looking at a 70s Silverface Twin, I'd want to have $1,000 to $1,100 in it once it was set up exactly how I wanted... fully serviced, new power tubes and my choice of speakers.

18. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

No, it don't. If they messed around with speakers, who knows what's going on inside the amp?

I understand that the amp sounds good, or great even. But I wouldn't pay $925 for a non-stock Twin. The price is too high. Personally, I wouldn't buy that amp for any amount of coin. But if you must have it, I'd offer $600 at most. My two cents, nothing more.

19. Burruss

Burruss Member

I really appreciate the input guys. The only thing thats keeping me from forgetting about he amp is the fact that It doesn't need to be shipped, it has been fully serviced very recently, and I might be able to drop the price further, depending on who I talk to. The other amp is a 74. It's the one that has a push/pull master volume, that switches up the wattages from full to lass than half power. pretty sweet feature for it's time. Is that one more desirable?

20. vibrostrat43

vibrostrat43 Supporting Member

I don't know who told you that the master volumes on those Fender amps change the output level but they were wrong. The push/pull "Master" knob only adds a fizzy nasty distortion to the sound when pulled. There may be another aftermarket switch or mod done by someone that either pulls 2 of the tubes from the circuit, or puts their operation into triode mode which will drop the output as well. That's a mod though, and the price should come done accordingly.