Option 5 Destination Phaser - Is This Finally The One?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Josh O, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Josh O

Josh O Member

I've been through many phasers and haven't really been bowled over by any of them. I like simple, my phaser needs really doesn't need to span beyond EVH type phase and that classic phase tone on Zep's The Rover. I can't say of any of the ones I had I was satisfied. I've tried/owned the following:

Boss Super Phaser - Too much fiddling, never got what I wanted tonally

MXR Phase 90 Reissue - Went through a couple of them, one died in a day, the other just didn't have it, too subtle and noisy

MXR EVH Phase 90 - I thought I hit the jackpot, it's EVH how can it not be right? Well, it wasn't. Still too subtle, in either Script mode or modern.

E/H Small Stone Russian - It was cheap ($55) but it fried in six months. It did have a pretty stout phase tone though, definetely not a Phase 90 tone but not bad nonetheless.

Maxon PT999 Phasetone - Not as noisy as the MXR stuff, too subtle, volume drop when engaged, messed with internal tone control, was never the same

Fulltone DejaVibe2 - Yeah I know, it's a univibe pedal not a phaser but I tried to see if I could at least cop a decent ripoff of the Rover phaser tone, no can do.

There's some really expensive and wild guys out there like the Red Witch, Maxon Vintage reissue, etc but I really don't want to spend more than $150.00 and don't need it be a MuTron type thang, or have mutltitudes of 4-step 8 step etc phase tones. Again, simple, well built, cop some EVh and Pagey type stuff. The Option 5 Destination Phase sounded pretty good on the website sound clip but does anyone own one? Is it too subtle like the rest? Volume drop? Maybe I should try out a E/H Small Stone USA reissue and if there is volume drop, see if Analogmike will modify it?

2. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

I like it, it is a nice bright sounding phase. Bright but smooth.

I have a HomeBrew phaser now because its just a lot of fun to use.

3. Ian

Ian Member

I have a block log phase 90, and I tried it against the Option 5 Destination Phase.

I prefer the stock Phase 90 to this pedal.

I want to pick up a HBE Psilocybe as a Christmas gift for myself though.....it could be cool....

4. bluescube

bluescube Supporting Member

Maybe subdecay Quasar?

Listen to the EHX Worm demo in the Peter Stroud thread.

5. Josh O

Josh O Member

Got me seriously thinking about the Psilocybe. My dealer that carries Option 5 also has HBE. Hope he has this pedal in stock so I can do a little A/B.

6. iualum

iualum Member

Ever thought about trying a USA Small Stone modded by the Analogman?

7. CBeeper

CBeeper Supporting Member

Here's another way to look at it. You went through what? Maybe $600-700 trying to find the perfect phaser. The Red Witch costs a little bit more but it's the most versatile of the bunch. Mine can get the "Rover" tone, mimic a Vibe ala the MagicBoy, cop most of the Phase 90 stuff and more. If you bought one from the get go you probably could have saved yourself $500 and your tone would be there.:D

8. Josh O

Josh O Member

True dat CBeeper!!

I ended up with the Psilocybe. I tried out the Option 5 phase and although it did a nice job, it seemed to suck tone a bit when off. The Psilocybe, to me anyways, did everything the Option 5 could plus cop some vibe tones and didn't sound like a tone sucker when off.

I thought about the analogman modded Small Stone but I like the fact the Psilocybe can cop some pretty cool vibe tones too.

9. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Member

I've been through a buncha phasers and still have six, seven if we count my voodoo vibe.

I love them all.

Even the ones I don't have anymore, I love them too.

My newest fave faze is the Sobbat Phase Breaker 2. I had heard the clips on Tone Toyz, but Sobbats are few and far between around here. I finally scored one in a different trade (thanks Brakhage) and it is making me smile. Rich and wild. Plus a vibrato mode all in a small box. Great feeling footswitch with no pop. :AOK

http://www.tonetoys.com/de/PhaseBreaker_2.html