Options for a thin neck goldtop LP

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Blue4Now, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

So I own a great 07 LP Classic gold top. I got to wondering what my options are for gold top LP's with thin necks and I concluded the Classic is pretty much it. Am I wrong?

2. Vintage-tone

Vintage-tone Gold Supporting Member

Not at all, there's not much out there with humbuckers and stock gold top in the thinner neck department.
    Many people get a plain top R0 and get it refin in GT or the other way around, start with an R7 and get the neck reshaped.
    Pups on the Classic are pretty high gain and some like em some hate em. If you want to go for a more true PAF sound swap em for Sheptone, Lollar, WRC , Fralin etc, plenty of lovely pups out there, Shep's being my all time favorites.

3. frank62

frank62 Member

In the early 90s there were 60s GTs with the thin neck. They hade 1960 in the pickguard.

4. Blue4Now

Yep I already swapped the ceramic stock pickups out for Gibson 57 Classics (love those) and changed the guard and TRC out to blank versions.

I tried out a GO the other day and the neck was quite a bit thicker than my Classic.

5. Vintage-tone

Vintage-tone Gold Supporting Member

yes those were the 1 st batch of Les Paul Classic but still written "Les Paul model" on the headstock. 1960 in gold lettering on the guard.
    They ve done a small batch of "all gold" as well ( back and neck gold too). Very good guitars, I just couldn't get used to the neck.

6. Blue4Now

The 07 and 08 Classics now say Model on the headstock

7. XKnight

XKnight Member

You can buy a Standard LP Goldtop with the thinner 60s neck.