1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Options for going direct

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by philclare, Feb 19, 2009.

1. philclare

philclare Member

Hi,

My church is in the process of moving buildings and we will be moving to In Ear monitoring. There are no requirements for zero stage noise, but I also do sound there and can see the appeal of zero stage noise so would like to achieve that if possible...

So i'm looking at getting rid of my amp and going direct but not really done this before so looking for options...

I don't want to use digital multifx cos I have some pedals and stuff that I really like and want to keep the analogue thing going...
    Don't mind rack or stompbox format for preamp
    Budget is around £500
    Would like something with headphone outs so I can use it to practise at home too.

Thanks for your help...

Phil

2. rob2001

rob2001 Member

3. benjammin420

benjammin420 Member

man, i have an amp sounds like what youre looking for. Crate tube amp, 1x8" celestion speaker, 5 watts. Sounds great (and loud!). also has a headphone jack, i use as my main recording amp, and have even used thru a PA. BUT i just checked all over their site and they dont make them anymore, sorry. maybe on ebay...

4. philclare

philclare Member

I've heard about the DRP-1, and quite like the idea of it being on the pedal board... I take it things like that don't have an FX loop so where would you put effects that would normally go after the preamp like delay etc?

Rocking up with a guitar and a pedal board sounds great on the back!

5. philclare

philclare Member

Also, the DRP-1 doesn't have XLR outs so there would need to be some conversion done to get it into the stage box. Not necessarily a problem but balanced XLR's on their would be quite good.

6. Aslan

Aslan Supporting Member

I've used the new Tech 21 Character pedals and they sound incredible going direct to the PA.

7. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I use a Tonelab LE just for the amp sims.

Boss has some pedals that emulate a Fender Bassman or a Fender Deluxe Reverb.

8. Bussman

Bussman Member

Going direct/silent and keeping your amp don't have to be mutually exclusive. There are many products that will make your current set-up do what you want: Palmer PDI-03, PDI-04, Sequis Motherload, Groove Tube Speaker Emulator, attenuators set on load along with a variety of speaker sim DIs, etc...

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  9. hading

hading Member

I'd second the Tech 21 Character series. I use a Liverpool in a church setting with other pedals and like it very much, moreso than my previous solutions (GT-8 and then Sansamp Classic with the same pedalboard). For my guitar sound alone I'd probably prefer an amp by a bit, but for making the overall sound better in this situation I think direct works really well.

The Character series don't have headphone outs, although they do have enough output to drive headphones (I didn't know that, but read someone say it online and tried it - it does work). I plugged my headphones into another pedal later on that just had a normal 1/4" output, so I was only getting sound in one side, and I don't have any reason to believe that the Tech21 pedals are set up to drive both sides of headphones (though they might be - I think, though it's digging into hazy memory, that the Sansamp Classic might do this, though it isn't nearly as loud), so you might need to rig up some cabling/adapter to fix this, but it could be done.

10. Alter

Alter Member

the tech 21 get my vote too, good sounding at a good price

11. philclare

philclare Member

Has anyone had experience with theH&k tubeman or mesa boogie recto recording preamp?

12. EMG78

EMG78 Member

I would highly recommend the Koch Studiotone tube amp head version. You can use this head with a speaker cabinet, or switch on a dummy load and use the recording out jack on the back of the head to go directly into the church sound system. I use my pedalboard through the Koch direct. I play with in ear monitors, and we have 0 stage noise. The koch studiotone has 3 channels, reverb, and is a great tube amp (it also takes pedals well). I should also mention that through the recording out jack, you can select angled or straight mic placement, and 1x12 or 4x12 cabinet. I can truly say that when I listen to recordings of our music, it sounds like I put a mic in front of a speaker cabinet to a great tube amp. The sound guy loves it! You mentioned also looking for something with a headphone option - this head has a headphone jack on the back as well as an FX loop.