Options for strat-sized P-90?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Rick Towne, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Rick Towne

Rick Towne P&W--Praise & Western--on 6, 8 and 12 strings. Silver Supporting Member

What is available these days for the middle/neck slot? Thanks.

2. Analog Assassin

Analog Assassin Senior Member

Bill Lawrence's L-290. Plus it's noiseless.

3. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

I've heard great things about Pete Biltoft's S-90's; I have a set of his Tele-sized P90's & they're fantastic.

www.vintagevibeguitars.com

4. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

Fralin SP42 and SP43 sound amazing. I totally love these pickups and use SP43's in my Strat and Tele. Go with a stock bridge and 15% under neck.

If it's any indication how great these are...I have a 2001 Gold Top w/ P-90's (had a 70's SG w/ P-90's) and I play my '91 AM STD Strat and my MEXICAN '50's reissue Tele more often (also have an '89 LP Custom 3pup).

I'm telling you. I love P-90's and I love these Fralins.

Still sounds like a Strat or a Tele, just not brittle and quack-y. Almost like a blend between a LP Jr. and a Fender.

I will not play a std. single coil gtr again without installing these pups.

5. mockoman

mockoman Member

+1 on the Fralin SP43.Fat,yet still Fenderesque.Only have ever used it in the bridge,tho. Maybe the SP42 for neck & middle.

Another Strat sized P90 that I like is the Harmonic Design S90.Similar to the SP43,but a little brighter (in a good way,real sweet),and clearer.

If you want lots of quack in the 2 & 4 position,put a bright,low output pu in the middle slot. I went with a Lollar Blonde,but there are lots of choices of that type.Best of both worlds,fat neck & bridge,yet still quacky in 2 & 4.

6. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

7. Rick Towne

Rick Towne P&W--Praise & Western--on 6, 8 and 12 strings. Silver Supporting Member

Great suggestions. The Vintage Vibes look intriguing. The pickups would go in the neck slots of three bender ASAT Classics with Duncan SSL-2 middles added.