Options for Tele body with some Strat aspects (Kiesel Johnny Hiland Sig)

musicbliss

Silver Supporting Member

Came across the Johnny Hiland sig Kiesel and it is right in the ballpark of what I am searching for. I really love tele bodies and feel, but also dig the strat middle pickup.

I have played a few nashville teles and they didn't speak to me, but this Kiesel sounds awesome in the vids I have seen.

Wondering if other makers build a guitar that is in the same stylistic ballpark as this one? I would also be open to low wound Humbuckers so like a HSH set up. Thanks so much!

Benz2112

Memba?
Gold Supporting Member
I am sure most Fender style builders could make you a tele with strat singles, but if you are going for what you hear in the video, you may want to get ahold of the Electric City Six Shooter pickups that are in the guitar. I don't believe the Electric City guy is taking new orders, as I believe Kiesel had to step in and start making the pickups for that model. It seems like Johnny has the wiring a little different than an ordinary strat 5 way as well.

I have a Solo, which is the platform for the Johnny model, and it is a very modern style tele. The body has strat like contours, it is on the thinner side, has a contoured neck heel, more like a single cutaway super strat guitar in general. With all of that being said, all those factors make it very comfortable to play. I configured mine with a thick neck, baritone scale, two PAF style humbuckers, and it is quite nice.

jvin248

Get a run of the mill Strat, move the volume knob to the first tone knob position and plug the old hole, and block the trem. You'll have that guitar in the video. As long as you set the amp/pedals/etc for it.

On a Tele, install Strat pickups and a 5-way switch.

Here's an option: Put Strat neck and middle in a Tele then wire it up with an Armstrong Blender with a stacked/concentric tone pot so one is the blender knob and a Strat 5-way switch. Then you have the best of the Strat, the best of the Tele, and a way to dial in a little or a lot of series humbucker Les Paul tones. Go from SSS to HSH on the fly.

2020jan08

Silver Supporting Member

Came across the Johnny Hiland sig Kiesel and it is right in the ballpark of what I am searching for. I really love tele bodies and feel, but also dig the strat middle pickup.

I have played a few nashville teles and they didn't speak to me, but this Kiesel sounds awesome in the vids I have seen.

Wondering if other makers build a guitar that is in the same stylistic ballpark as this one? I would also be open to low wound Humbuckers so like a HSH set up. Thanks so much!
That sounds great. And nice to hear Johnny playing something sweet and soulful, not just the high-octane face-melting country hot licks. What a player he is!

Jazzandmore

Platinum Supporting Member
Ah, so it's not only about vibrations, but also altering the magnetic field. Got it.

Anyways, very cool guitars. Super versatile and great sounding.
Yeah it is a great guitar and with the parallel/series switching, so versatile.

I’ve got a build thread going right now for a Valvebucker.

mcuguitar

Gold Supporting Member
Mario Martin Honcho. I love mine. 7lbs. even, trem. Playing on the stock, split-blade Fralin neck pickup here. Solo at 2:22:

mcuguitar

Gold Supporting Member
sounds great! How did you get hip to his guitars?
Thank you! I found out about Mario Martin purely by accident. A friend of mine received a large collection of guitars from a friend of his who had stopped playing. I played through several, and had decided on this beautiful, wine colored Riggio. Just before handing him the cash, I picked up the Mario and plugged it in. Wow! The beefiest bridge pickup I’ve ever heard in a 3-pickup, Strat-style setup. The rest of the guitar was equally as impressive. I had to have it!

sahhas

Silver Supporting Member
I have absolutely know idea what kind of guitar this is that Dweezil owns, but always thought it was cool, i guess one option for you:

the other one, that I always thought was a TELE on steroids:

good luck!

Trending Topics