Options other than Echoczar...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dyer_maker, Jul 1, 2008.

1. dyer_maker

dyer_maker Member

Bottom line, I'm pretty much ready to throw in the towel on this one. 3+ years on the waitlist and almost a year into being #2 in line I've just run out of patience and need to focus on something else. The DD-20 I have works well enough for a digital pedal and while I would love to have something the caliber of the Echoczar it just seems unrealistic at this point. For those of you that have moved on what's your delay(s) of choice? Did you go the analog route or pick up one of newer digital units like the Timefactor?

JD

2. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

i went with the Empress Superdelay. i can't imagine there being a better sounding delay out there. i had the Timefactor for a while, but to me, the superdelay is the winner.

3. e-z

e-z Member

No need to throw in the towel. You can get a delay to tide you over and sell it when your number comes up on the Echoczar.

4. EelEye

EelEye Gold Supporting Member

What explanation does Ed give you on this? Is he even making these anymore?

I gave up on the Echoczar last year and picked up the Timefactor...I haven't looked back--great pedal.

5. zygoat

zygoat Supporting Member

3 years is just stupid.

6. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

7. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

wait, you said 3 years right...

8. dyer_maker

dyer_maker Member

Doh, one just sold in the Emporium... I'll have to check it out, don't know much about that one, thanks.

9. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Supporting Member

I had an Echoczar, but just use a Timefactor with the 2.0 software upgrade. The Echoczar was the nicest sounding analog delay (not the quietest though) that I have had, but took up too much space for what it did. I wish he would make a single channel version with the modern/vintage switch. The glide was useless to me. I just want the single channel tone. Too bad there are so many of his phasers and drives when people really want a delay so bad. I just talked to another guy who has been on the list for almost 3 years. Its so sad that beautiful tone like that can't be shared more. Single channel please Mr. Toneczar and start making them!

10. drolling

drolling Member

Hey, I was sitting around waiting for one too, when I read a thread on the Diamond Memory Lane. I'd never even heard of the company, in spite of the fact that it's up here in Canada, but I phoned a couple stores and found a distributor.

2 hours later, #0008 was on my board- The maual was actually dated just a few days before I picked up the pedal! I was getting fed up with long, waiting lists, especially the pre-paid variety, so this really cheered me up.

And it's a very good pedal; "true"-bypassed analog delay w/modulation & tone controls. The only analog delay I know of w/tap tempo (this part has some digital stuff, but it's completely out of the signal path.

They've just started shipping the 'new & improved' ML2, which I'll probably break down & buy before I hear from Ed.

But here's my question to you; I've been "on the list" since July 29, 2005, which is a month or so shy of three years. When did you sign up?

I've heard rumors that there are still some people who pre-paid for their E'czar, but thankfully, Ed stopped that practice just before I signed up..

On the other hand, the Echoczar's price has gone up since and he'll definitely not be applying the old price to customers already on the list, like Alph & many other builders here. Understand, I'm not b!tching about this at all - if I was Ed, or Mike I'd just chuck the list and put 'em ALL on eBay..

And then retire to a remote tropical island!

11. swakowski

swakowski Member

i went for the moogerfooger analog delay while waiting(3 years too, i think i'm #40 or somethig). if you want you can do the glide over by flipping the switch on the moog from short -> long or vice versa. otherwise great sounds.

i'll probably pay up if the echoczar ever comes up.

12. hbentley

hbentley Member

yeah, 3 years for a pedal is pretty ridiculous. sounds like he needs to hire someone.

13. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

Here are some strictly analog options-

DML v1 or v2
    DMM (Most swear by it)
    XO DMM (Smaller version, yet to be released to most the world)
    Carbon Copy (Small but effective, not much by way of modulation shaping)

14. RC2

RC2 Silver Supporting Member

I got on the list for a Echoczar in August of 06, when I realized it was going to be about a four year wait I went out and bought an Aqua-Puss. I figured I'd suffer with an AP-2 and if my name comes up someday I'll worry about which one to keep then.

15. Rock72

Rock72 Member

Never tried the ML1, but have the ML2 and I certainly don't feel I need any other analog delay. Great, great pedal!!!!

16. dyer_maker

dyer_maker Member

Thanks for all the responses. Lots of really viable options. I remember when everyone used to bitch that there weren't any good delay options out there. Everything was digital and mostly crap, you could only get a good analog pedal by going vintage on eBay or something. Times sure have changed though.

17. Holey Lint Trap

Holey Lint Trap Member

Have you even considered a Moog delay? Those things are amazing. Great sound, effects loop, 1 second of delay time, all analog, and awesome looking. And that is only the tip of the iceberg.

18. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

Get the retrosonic delay or a nova. Both are very nice.

19. dyer_maker

dyer_maker Member

Holy smokes, the ML2 looks fantastic!!! :dude:dude:dude

20. dyer_maker

dyer_maker Member

Spoke with Ed on the phone. I can say without a doubt he's passionate about his creations. Surprisely this is the first time we've spoke on the phone... I try not to bug people to much. His plan has always been to continue to produce the Echoczar as it's his flagship product. The enclosures have always been time consuming but he appears to have a resolution for that. Historically you'll note he's always been intent on making improvements, that hasn't changed one bit. There may be light at the end of the tunnel, he seemed pretty amped with latest rev.