Orange 4x12 PPC Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sniffyduke, Sep 3, 2008.

1. sniffyduke

sniffyduke Member

I used to have a marshall JCM800 80's I played through my Orange 4x12 with Vintage 30s.

Now I have a Matchless Clubman 35 Head.

The Orange is 16ohms and rated at 240 watts RMS.

Now that I have a Clubman 35watt head do I need to take this Cab in and have the speakers replaced with G12Hs or Greenbacks.

Are vintage 30's rated at 60watts per speaker to much for this head?

Would Lower watt speakers make it louder.

Thanks

2. hamfist

hamfist Member

The fact that the Clubman is 35W has no relevance on how high your speaker ratings are. So long as the speakers can handle the max wattage output of the amp, all will be fine. Also, your Clubman also needs a 16 ohm output to match the Orange. the Orange could also quickly be re-wired for 4 ohms if needed, of course.
    Don't get rid of the Orange 4x12, they are great cabs !

3. sniffyduke

sniffyduke Member

Thanks for the Info. I thought it was a good cab, but all the talk here about Greenbacks and G12H's.

I thought I was going to have to take my cab and have them put G12Hs in it : (

Feel beter considering the price of the orange and then haveing to spend hundreds of dollars more on new speakers.

thank you

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  4. sniffyduke

sniffyduke Member

I was going to buy a marshall at first with G12s in it, but when I pluged into the orange it just sounded much better to me. But thats just my opinion. Had more Bass, sounded fuller.

5. StudioRat320

StudioRat320 Member

The Clubman with Vintage 30's is one of my favorite sounding combinations. Keep the cab as is. You won't be sorry.