Orange 4x12 vs Mesa 4x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Grasley, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Grasley

Grasley Member

Hey! Is there enough difference in tone to own both do they sound similar enough to not warrant having both. Im assuming they are both loaded with V 30's. Thanks

2. Custom50

Custom50 Member

Mesa cabinet has the Mesa branded V30's which have a slightly different tone. Personally, I think they are different enough to justify both (provided you have the money to burn) but if I was shopping for just one I'd look for Mesa, I see way better deals on Mesa cabs.

DiPa and hvactech like this.
  3. SmokeyTone

SmokeyTone Member

Having owned both cabs, I would say the Mesa has more pronounced mids. The Orange has insane low end.

I prefer Orange for the thump and bass response when playing in my home. Just sounds warm and full.

They are different enough to own both. IMHO.

4. broken_sound

broken_sound Silver Supporting Member

I've also noticed the Orange to be much more boxy and directional where the Mesa seemed more open and ambient. The Mesa really covers a large frequency spectrum and is one of the best sounding 4x12's I've ever played for loud and heavy music.

ToneCaptain likes this.
  5. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

Really four 4x12 cabs that I really dig: Mesa, Bogner, Orange, Marshall all great and enough differences in each (talking about v30 loaded).

6. Hiatt1991

Hiatt1991 Member

I have an Orange 4x12 high power with g12k-100s. I used to have the one with v30s and I can say I like the g12k-100s a lot more. I don't play heavy metal anymore. Nowadays I find myself playing classic rock and some punk music. Even though the cab was built for heavy detuned 7 string guitars, it works really well for me. It also has a really good bass presence that's not overpowering.

7. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

I love my Orange PPC412.

Full, warm, clear and aggressive. In Aus, Orange 4x12's are far cheaper than Mesa 4x12's.

8. jdel77

jdel77 Silver Supporting Member

I put my Orange V30 4x12 on wheels, which I screwed to the wooden skid plates underneath.
    Plenty of low end but it got rid of the insane woofiness Orange cabs have when sitting on the floor.
    I can't stand that 'wum wum wum' car stereo subwoofer sound you hear coming out of dub step wankers driving by. Who wants that? Let the guitar breathe and the bassist does their thing under that.
    Since I've got that Orange off the floor it's way more open and less directional.

Having said that my old 90s Recto 2x12 was one of the best I'd heard.

DiPa likes this.
  9. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

I looked at adding wheels but didn't want to mess with the cab, so I just raise the cab on a platform.

jdel77 likes this.
  10. jdel77

jdel77 Silver Supporting Member

I figured as long as I was screwing into the skid plates and not the cab itself I'm good.

11. dwoverdrive

dwoverdrive Supporting Member

Both have a lot of bass. The Orange has sort of a hollow tone that's really cool to it with some low end boominess while the Mesa has a big thump in the low end and sounds a little more pronounced in upper mids. Having both with V30s would be a little redundant

12. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

Both are different enough to warrant owning both

13. Dashface

Dashface Member

They're both big, huge sounding cabinets and both built like a house. The Mesa Cabs are honestly the only cabs I've ever played my Hiwatts through - aside from my actual Hiwatt cabs - that I was satisfied with. They are great sounding cabs, and as was mentioned above they're a bit more open sounding than most so they work well for all kinds of things. That's the direction I'd go for sure.