Orange AD30 Users... Overdrive Question...

treeuh

Hey all, thanks for reading. I've been struggling with finding a good OD box for my Orange AD30- as I understand it, the AD30 isn't exactly super pedal-friendly... so far everything sounds either very harsh or muddy. The best results I've had have been the left side of the BB+ and FD2... what are you guys using? This is just as much for recommendations as it is out of curiosity...

Thanks again!

Passenger84

Silver Supporting Member
I had the same problem when I had an AD30...every od sounded harsh, except for the SIB Varidrive on hot mode. That one really seemed to sing. :)

boosts
i run
freakshow boost --> audio menagerie - peregrine boost II --> ehx - lpb-1
find boosts that have different tone structures, maybe a rangemaster or a dod 250 would work well too
you can overwhelm the front end of this amp easily, the lpb-1 gets fuzz tones for me
but i guess if you turn the gain down and use the low input (where's the fun in that!) you could probably use whatever you want and it would sound great

GTBJ

MI Audio Blue Boy Deluxe sounds wonderful with my AD15 and is super tweakable. MI Audio Boost n Buff v2 does nicely for clean/mid/treble boost depending on how it's set too. I use both of these pedals on my board.

I tend to run the gain control around 2-3 (out of ten, not o'clock) and peg the master for band stuff (and wind it right back for quiet playing at home).

jdel77

I just run them straight into my old Orange. Best drives for my mid 70s OR120 is an SD-1 or a Deaj YATS (tweaked TS), and a Whiteface Rat.
Hugeness.

pacomc79

EGDM and Rat.... boosts... especially treble boosts.... hotcake etc. EGDM is heaven.

Also, try to find some good smooth and clean preamp tubes. I use Tung Sol's and I've been pleased.

Keep the amp gain lower when using pedals 9ish or so, up to around 12. Over 12 it can get harsh sounding though once I changed tubes I didn't have the issues with the amp gain anymore.

The Whiz

I would bet a Kingsley Jester or Minstrel would work very well. 3 different "modes" (which aren't just different levels of gain but different flavors) as well as 3 band eq makes it very flexible. And being all tube (and the the tubes run at proper preamp voltages) it sounds amazing.

Trending Topics