Orange AD30 vs. D/13 FTR 37

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by themusicboxstudios, Aug 11, 2005.

1. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

hey guys, i pretty much narrowed down my search for a new amp to a Divided by 13 FTR37. I currently own an Orange AD30 head which is currently on the market. What i'm wondering is if i'll regret selling it. I LOVE this amp for it's raw and honest overdrive and also how well it cleans up just by my playing dynamics. For the longest time i have been switching between super reverb type amps and voxy orangey amps. Until i saw and heard the clips for the Divided by 13 FTR 37. Basically, i'm hoping to get my fender fetish from the first channel and my orangey love from the second. do you guys think this is possible? if not do you guys reccomend anything else.

i'd love some guys who have played both the orange and the ftr 37 to chime in on there similarities.

thank you so much, jon

2. themusicboxstudios

3. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

Love my 37... I've only played the Orange briefly. You cant go wrong with a 37 though..... what cab would you be using?

4. themusicboxstudios

i'd be using the matching d/13 cab .... g12h30/ blue. i've found plenty of amps that i like but none of them really had the gritty personality that my orange has. that was until i heard the divided by 13 clips. i just hope i'm not tricked by the awsome quality recording.

-jon

5. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

hi jon,

I'll have a go at this question as I own the AD30TC combo with 2xV30 and a /13 ERT33 as a head and cab with two Cele Blues. I will be selling both (the Orange because I have another Orange I like even more and the 33 because it's not my thing.) The reason I'm chiming in is that the 33 has the same power section as the AD series (4 x EL84), so the comparison should be somewhat possible...

The quick answer is, no I don't think you'll get the same style of OD from the /13 than you will from the Orange. I can relate to what you called raw and honest Od with the Orange. I think it's a fatter, thicker and like you said it, raw tone that is great if you like the British OD style. My 33 is more "hi-fi", but was trcky to dial in a fatter tone. Regarding "fizzy" OD, the Orange doesn't have it and my 33 does to my ear and in my rig.

What the 33 does do just as well is to clean up via the guitar - both do it really nicely. Also keep in mind that you have no master on the /13 - I don't know how loud you can play...

As for the 2 channel thing, I find the click channel on the 33 to be bright, but I know that many like their 37 for a gainy, dynamic lead tone. I don't put it in the Orange camp though.

Hope that helps.

Chris

6. celestion101

celestion101 Silver Supporting Member

I love my FTR37, which by the way with 6V6's has a total different sound than the 33 mentioned above. You really can't go wrong. I've never owned an Orange, so I can't say there. They seem nice as well.

7. themusicboxstudios

thanks for the reply's guys. can anyone give me a decently in depth review of the ftr 37? liks which amps youve heard in the past that it sounds like?

8. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

There was a tonequest article a while back.

I can think of one online with clips:

http://www.ultimateguitargear.com/tone_party_reviews_divided.htm

And then there are the clips from the web site:

http://dividedby13.com/clips/

I know my FTR is Big, Fat, and Thick. I can't imagine getting a Strat to sound much thicker...make sure you get the /13 cab too...

9. Swampash

Swampash Member

Not to be inhospitable, but have you tried the "Search" feature at the top of the webpage?

There are tons of reviews on the FTR37.

10. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

The amps are not very similar. I own a 37 and an Orange Rockerverb (even less like the 37 despite sharing the same power tubes). The '37 has reverb and two very different sounding channels (one is somewhat cleaner, but doesn't have tons of clean headroom; the other channel has tons of gain but is still very responsive). The AD's have master volume knobs, the '37s don't so if you need to play low volume with the '37, you're sacrificing some of its more outstanding capabilities (or you'll need an attenuator).

I just got through playing an AD30 (and an AD50 and Retro 50) at Truetone Music this past Saturday. They're rather different sounding amps. The AD30 doesn't have anywhere's near the level of aggression available in the 37. The 37's sound is also what I consider to be more refined and a little smoother. (You may like smoother...or you may not--no value judgement here on my part). The FTR 37 is one of the very most responsive amps I've ever played. The AD30 and other Oranges I've played are not. They do indeed respond to changes in pick attack and guitar volume...but not like the '37. The '37 also has much more of a straight up Fender tone through its reverb channel. The Orange tone is more unique. I really dig them both.

There are also monetary considerations. The '37 is WAY more expensive than an AD30.

11. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Play By Tone,

Thanks for the clip links. I tried the search feature and couldn't find any clips of the FRT 37, now I have them. Wow, they sound great to my ear. I'm getting my head on Tuesday, now I can hardly wait! :dude

12. themusicboxstudios

thanks leon, i understand that the first channel is very fendery which is great. but how the click channel? will it give me the midrangey raw sound. i read somewhere that someone thought it was more "raw" sounding than an AC30. when i compare my orange to a ac30 cc2 my orange is just a bit more raw but is deff. in the same vein. can anyone confirm this?

13. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

Good luck with it GAT. Remember that some of these floating around for sale are because they didn't jive with someone. However, I would bet that lot's of these aren't even broke in yet, or maybe have some kinda tube thing working against them.

With the right speaker/cab mix, and everything stock working correctly, you should get what you are hearing. Plus the more miles you put on it the better. Who knows, it may not give you what you are expecting at first... Work it out, you won't regret it.

14. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

The problem with saying "AC30" is that I've heard some that sounded like ****, others that sounded like god, and everything inbetween. I think the best AC30s aren't all that refined sounding and I think they've got a pretty good raw thing going.

The FTR37 click channel's OD sounds sort of like a cross between a tweed champ and a plexi. Very agressive but not really big and snaggly toothed. If you picture the distortion as the blade on a saw, then I'd say the teeth on the '37 are small and very evenly sized and spaced...hence somewhat smooth sounding. Not like Robben-Ford-Dumble-smooth...but smoother than some early 70s Marshalls. Also not as raw/prickly as the AD30's overdriven sound...but even more aggressive (more gain avaiable) and notably more responsive.

15. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

The Les Paul humbucking clip on Lance's website is the type of tone I like in a humbucker so at least I know its gonna be in the ballpark.

16. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

Yeah, the click channel best clip floored me and put me in the direction of the /13.

17. Distortion

Distortion Member

I have an original 64 JMI AC30 combo and a FTR 37.

The AC30 sounds really great..

The FTR 37 sounds amazing...

Both great amps, but the 37 is possibly my favorite amp.. ever...